Start a new topic

Support for Amazon Redshift

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I have been playing around with Amazon Redshift. See my experiences at: http://redshiftuser.wordpress.com/ Redshift presents itself as Postgres, but has different underlying management tables (eg for table metadata). DbVis connects fine to Redshift and works well for queries. However, dbVis doesn't correctly populate the hierarchy tree. So, here's a Feature Request to add Redshift support to dbVis. Thanks!

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Support for Amazon Redshift
John, I will add your vote for Redshift support in DbVisualizer. Since this is an unsupported database you can try set the Database Type in the Connection details to "Generic". That way it will use only the JDBC driver and its meta-data support to fetch information about the database objects. If that doesn't work then check that you're using a JDBC driver version that supports Redshift. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thank you! Actually, it seems that in the few months since I last used Redshift, things have become better. The hierarchy works correctly for Tables, so it seems that my request is now somewhat obsolete!
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi John, I just installed the DBVis latest version, but can't view Schemas name and any objects within the Schema. Could you please share how you were able to get the object hierarchy working correctly? Thank you! Raymond

Raymond, What database and driver are you using? Also, what is the setting for Database Type in the connection tab? Regards Roger

One issue with Redshift in DbVisualizer, namely that object name did not appear in the Databases tab, has been fixed in the just released DbVisualizer 9.1. To access Redshift in DbVisualizer you should select the Generic database type in the connection setup. An alternative is that you chose PostgreSQL, but note that not all features work with Redshift. Best Regards, Hans

Where/How should we report additional issues with RedShift? New tickets, this ticket? For instance: * extracting DDL for a table generates a "max_index_keys" error. * DbVis does extract SORTKEY & DISTKEY * DbVis does not extract column ENCODE * Max Rows doesn't seem to work

Hi Jason, I have recorded the issues you mentioned and added your vote for adding official support for Redshift. Best Regards, Hans

I'd like to vote for official full support of Redshift, too! Also, extracting DDL for a table still generates a "max_index_keys" error. As a workaround, I was able to generate basic DDL by configuring the connection's database type as Generic (instead of PostgreSQL)

Hi, I'll add your vote. Regards Roger

Hi, We just launched the BETA testing of the upcoming 9.5 version with support for Redshift. It would be great if you can give it a test and verify. http://www.dbvis.com/download/beta/ For more information about the news in the BETA version: http://www.dbvis.com/doc/relnotes/index.jsp?showheader=false&showtoc=false&version=9.5-BETA We plan to go public with 9.5 in a few weeks. Regards Roger