Start a new topic

Command to define variables

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I'm familiar with substitution variables in DbVisualizer and have used them in my scripts. I'm not a fan, though, of having long variable definition statements embedded in my SQL statements, or of the way that variable definitions get scattered all over long SQL statements. I was wondering if it would be possible to have a new command for defining one or more variables? I could then define my substition variables at the top of the script and just reference the definitions within the script. For example: +-- Variable definitions (comma-separated):+ +@definevars ${ myvar1 || var1default || String || }$,+ +${ myvar2 || 99 || Integer || noshow }$,+ +${ myvar3 || 1999-01-30 || Date || }$+ +;+ +SELECT *+ +FROM mytable t+ +WHERE t.char_field = ${myvar1}+ +AND t.number_field = ${myvar2}+ +AND t.date_field = ${myvar3}+ Ugh. Wish the forum had support for code blocks.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Command to define variables
Hi Steve, We may add a @define command at some point, but you can accomplish the same thing today with the @echo command. A variable is "defined" when it is first used, so replacing @definevars in your example with @echo should work fine. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

> {quote:title=Hans Bergsten wrote:}{quote} >We may add a @define command at some point, but you can accomplish the same thing today with the @echo command. A variable is "defined" when it is first used, so replacing @definevars in your example with @echo should work fine. Not quite as elegant but yes, I imagine that should work. Thanks Hans.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I can't seem to make this work on the command line using Oracle. Here's the simple example that I tried: @echo ${ ROWNUMS || 50 || Integer }$; SELECT * from mytable where rownum

> {quote:title=Andrew wrote:}{quote} > I can't seem to make this work on the command line using Oracle. Here's the simple example that I tried: > > @echo ${ ROWNUMS || 50 || Integer }$; > > SELECT * from mytable where rownum > Any help is appreciated. You're missing a '$' at the end of your SELECT statement. It should be: SELECT * from mytable where rownum