Start a new topic

Reuse table window for previously-opened window. Don't replace diff table

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

In General > Key Bindings > Double-Click, I have Double Click: Open in Tab. When I double click on table A, it opens a table A tab. If I double click on table A again, nothing happens. If I double click on table B, it reuses and replaces the table A tab with table B content. [ close all window tabs] If I set General > Key Bindings > Double-Click, to Double Click: Open in New Tab, and if I double click on table A, it opens a table A tab. If I double click on table A again, another table A tab is opened. I think there may be productivity issues here. It would be probably better if: - if an existing table tab is already open, re-focus it (instead of opening a new tab) - if no existing table tab exists, open a new tab

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Reuse table window for previously-opened window. Don't replace diff table
Geff, Open in Tab first check if the object is already displayed, if it is then that tab is selected, otherwise next available (not pinned, busy or modified) tab is used. Open in New Tab will open the selected object in a new tab even if it is already displayed and there are other available tabs. More information about opening tabs: http://www.dbvis.com/doc/main/doc/ug/tabs/tabs.html#mozTocId748098 Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

The problem is it reuses the same tab to open another table. Say I double-click Table A. There's 1 new tab now, labeled Table A. If I double-click Table B, Table A tab is replaced by Table B tab. So, there's only 1 tab open. I would have expected 2: one for Table A and another for Table B. Is there a setting I'm missing here? Edited by: Geff Chang on Aug 12, 2013 10:50 AM
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

In addition to my previous comment above, using "Open in New Tab" is not ideal. If I double-click Table A 3 times, I would get 3 Table A tabs. The way "Open in New Tab" works is probably correct. Regardless if the table is open or not, it should create a new tab. But for Open in Tab, I would expect it to reuse the same table tab of the same name. If there is no tab of that name, it should create a new tab. This way, there are no duplicate tabs. This would minimize the clutter in the tab list. Perhaps it's a feature request? Edited by: Geff Chang on Aug 12, 2013 10:57 AM

I just observed something interesting. I have have two tabs open (Table A and Table B). If I double-click Table A, it opens/re-focuses the Table A tab. If I double-click Table B, it opens/re-focuses the Table B tab. In this case, no new tabs are created. This is the sort of behavior I was expecting. But if I double-click Table C, it would replace the currently-open tab. This is the behavior that I'm not expecting. It should create a new table tab for Table C. Maybe this is a bug instead? Edited by: Geff Chang on Aug 12, 2013 11:04 AM

Geff, Open in Tab always use the next available tab (starting at selected tab) that is not pinned, modified or busy running tasks. If you want to make sure a tab is not reused, pin it by clicking the tab icon or select Pin Tab in the tab right-click menu. I can see your point with having a new "select existing tab first and then create new tab" request. I will open a new ticket. Regards Roger

Just to say that I was going to raise this same point. I too changed my double-click to 'open in new tab' to avoid accidently losing already open tabs - but then often end up with piles of unintended duplicates. TBH I hadn't realised you could pin the tabs to stop them being repurposed - and I'll try to get into the habit of doing this now. But I still think it would be nice to have an 'inbetween' double-click option where either it automatically re-uses a tab if it one already exists otherwise creates a new one. Or alternatively, prompts you to say that one or more tabs are already open for this, do you want to select an existing tab or create a new tab. (There's a minor question as to what to do if there are multiple candidate tabs for selection; but that's an existing issue for the 'open in tab', and from what I can see it just picks the first matching one (rather than, say, the last one in focus)). Martin.

Martin, Sorry for the delay. We will add a switch to allow the behavior you are requesting in the next maintenance version. Regards Roger

Hi, There is now an option that control how Open in Tab should work. Look in Tool Properties->Tabs. This is fixed in the 9.1.3 version. http://www.dbvis.com/download/ Regards Roger