Start a new topic

quicker detection of chopped sessions?

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi, this is not about a dbvis problem, more that of a network and an over active firewall that closes ports (I think this is the case) If a session is opened by dbvis and is inactive for a while, the session gets chopped by a firewall. The next action, for example re-execute a query, refresh a view in the object tree of open a new branch in the tree causes dbvis to wait for a very long time before it gets a tcp timeout and decides the connection is dead. Can this be made a little quicker? For example, send a probe/ test the port and when OK, send the real action. If not OK, the connection is gone so just release everything, forget the old state and start over, with a new connection. Ronald.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: quicker detection of chopped sessions?
Hi Roland, Some kind of "probing" may be possible, but it would also add overhead to every request. We are, however, looking at other options for minimizing problems like this (e.g. some kind of "keep alive" in the background) but it is important to make sure we're not creating new problems for the "normal" cases by doing so. In the situation you describe, you are probably aware that the reason the operation takes forever is that the connection has been dropped. You can then stop the operation in the Task Manager and reconnect: Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Hans, yes, it should only be something 'light' that checks the validity of the current port or something similar. And yes, I cancel the qry using the stop button. Re-run, cancel again, because dbvis is still trying the old connection re-run and now I get a new fresh session that works again. Doing so takes a few seconds, while waiting goes to minutes. It is not a problem of dbvis but dbvis could help making this problem less tedious but only if normal operations remain normal ... thanks, Ronald.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi Ronald, If you reconnect after stopping, the old connection(s) should not be used. Best Regards, Hans