Start a new topic

Data transfer and synchronization tools

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi, I'm currently evaluating DbVisualizer Pro (with PostgreSQL) and I really like it. However, as a Navicat user, there are some features that I'm missing... First and foremost, Navicat has tools for data transfer, data synchronization and structure synchronization (between servers/databases/tables). Are there any plans for implementing similar features in DbVisualizer in the near future? In Navicat I can also open a (psql) console in a separate tab, which is a simple but great feature that would be a nice addition to DbVisualizer. I also like how you can display a "form view" of your query result in Navicat, even if I admittedly don't use that feature very often. Regards, Mikael

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Data transfer and synchronization tools
Hi Mikael, Sorry for the delay. Most of your requests (data migration, launch of external tools) are on the future list. None of these are however on the short list planned during the next year from now. To view a result set row in a form view, double-click the row number or select "Edit/Show Row in Form" in the right-click menu in the result set grid. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with any questions you may have during the evaluation. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Roger, I'm glad to hear that data migration tools are on your list, be it the short list or the long. By the way, those lists, are they public? If so, where can I find them? About the form view. In Navicat you can set this view as the default view for your query results (like you can with the grid, text and chart views in DbVisualizer) and it has buttons for navigating between rows. But as I said, I've only really used it a handful of times. Another thing that I've found bothering me is that the log is focused instead of the query result whenever the result set is empty. I'd prefer to always have the query result focused, but I'm sure others have other preferences. Hence it would be nice if this was configurable (e.g. always focus query result, always focus log or focus log if result set is empty). / Mikael

Hi Mikael, > By the way, those lists, are they public? If so, where can I find them? The "list" I am referring to is our internal ticketing system. It is not publicly available. > About the form view. In Navicat you can set this view as the default view for your query results (like you can with the grid, text and chart views in DbVisualizer) and it has buttons for navigating between rows. But as I said, I've only really used it a handful of times. So instead of showing the collection of rows you would want to show the first row in a form view with capability to navigate to next/previous? This is the first time we get this request and I am trying to see when this is useful. > Another thing that I've found bothering me is that the log is focused instead of the query result whenever the result set is empty. I'd prefer to always have the query result focused, but I'm sure others have other preferences. Hence it would be nice if this was configurable (e.g. always focus query result, always focus log or focus log if result set is empty). Is there any reason you would want to have the result set tab focused when there are no rows to present? How it works now is by design as the log may indicate the reason why the result set is empty. If instead showing the result tab users may be confused what happened and don't understand they need to switch to the log to see the reason. Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I've used the form view in Navicat when I'm working with or "browsing" for single records in tables/views with many columns and/or wide (text) fields. Using the form view in those cases, I get a better overview of the selected record without having to scroll (horizontally). I can then keep both my hands on the keyboard and continue adjusting my query without losing momentum by moving my hand to the mouse. In other words, the useful part of the form view (for me) is having the columns listed vertically (with enough space to see long text values). The reason I'd prefer to have the result set tab focused also for empty sets is consistency. Personally I get more confused by the current inconsistent behavior, perhaps because I often write queries for which I expect empty results. When the log shows up my immediate reaction is that there's an error in my query. I have to read the log message to know that it's just an empty result. If the result set tab was focused I would see directly that it's empty (especially with that eye-catching gray label saying "Result set is empty"). Couldn't it be configurable which tab gets focus when? I would like the log tab to only get focus when there's an actual error in my query (and for DML queries, of course). I guess it's important for me that my tools don't disturb my work flow. :) / Mikael

Hi Mikael, I will open a new ticket with your request. Should't be that hard to fix. Regards Roger

Great! Is there somehow I can get informed when (if) these features have been implemented? It would be pretty annoying if I buy a license now and then these features are implemented when my period of free upgrades has expired! =) / Mikael

Mikael, With every feature suggestion we assign the requesting email address or forum post with the ticket. When the ticket is closed and made into a release we inform the requestors accordingly at the day of the release. Regards Roger

Hi, I just wanted to check the status of this ticket. Has it made it to the "short list" yet, or is it low priority? I'm planning to get the pro version once the issue with the log tab being focused for empty results is resolved. / Mikael

Hi Mikael, Data migration support in DbVisualizer is not scheduled as of now. The main driver for new features and improvements of existing functionality is by user requests. The demand for migration tools is currently low compared to other features. Regards Roger

Ok, thanks, but as I indicated in my question I'm primarily interested in the status of the issue with the log tab being focused for empty results. I got the impression from your reply on Feb 6 last year that you created a ticket for this, but maybe I got that wrong. Shall I create a new thread with a request for this configuration option to be added?

Mikael, We have an open ticket regarding the log/result set tabs. We will discuss it soon. Regards Roger

Mikael, This has now been fixed in the just released 9.2.14 version. To control what tab should be active in the SQL Commander open Tool Properties and select the General / SQL Commander / Result Set category. You find the options in the right pane. Download from http://www.dbvis.com/download/ or use Help->Check for Update to upgrade. Regards Roger