Start a new topic

Client side command to rename tabs

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I'm thinking something like this would be very useful in scripts: bq. @RENAMETAB next="Customers" \\ select top 100 * from customers -- Tab heading gets renamed to "Customers" \\ select top 100 * from orders -- Tab heading stays as default \\ \\ @RENAMETAB all="Addresses" \\ select top 100 * from delivery_addresses -- Tab heading gets renamed to "Addresses" \\ select top 100 * from billing_addresses -- Tab heading stays renamed as "Addresses" \\ \\ @RENAMETAB -- Empty command resets all tab headings back to defaults Hope that makes sense. Regards, Vince

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Client side command to rename tabs
Hi Vince, Thanks for the suggestion. We already have this on our list but I have added your vote for the feature. Best Regards, Hans

Vince, DbVisualizer 9.2 has just been released with support to set the name of next result set, http://www.dbvis.com/doc/relnotes/?version=9.2&showtoc=false Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Roger, Thanks, I'd hoped to apply this technique to my existing scripts and it is almost perfect except that I'm running multi-statement SQL Server scripts that refer to variables (and table variables). This means I must execute the statement as a single query batch otherwise the variables are no longer in scope. As a simplified example, this fails with the error "Must declare the scalar variable @myvar": declare @myvar varchar(50) = 'lalala' GO @set resultset name blah GO select @myvar The documentation shows the use of semicolons instead of GO delimiters but I have semicolon delimiters turned off in the options as I want semicolons to be statement delimiters and GO to be a batch delimiter. If I add semicolons as delimiters then many scripts fail to run as they are treated as multi-batch scripts causing variable scoping issues again. Does the @set command have to work on the next query batch? Could it instead rename tabs based on the number of grids returned regardless of whether they're in a new batch or not? In other words, I'd ideally like to be able to use: declare @myvar varchar(50) = 'lalala' @set resultset name blah select @myvar Regards, Vince

Hi Vince, If you run this it will rename the result set for the next result set(s): @set resultset name blah GO declare @myvar varchar(50) = 'lalala' select @myvar The "@set resultset name" command will rename all following result sets with the name + an index. It is not possible to embed @ in statement block supposed to be executed by the DB server. The reason is that all @ are extracted and processed by DbVisualizer before any SQLs are sent to the server. Regards Roger