Start a new topic

Feasibility and desirability of interactive charts?

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Good day, I am loving the "visualization" aspect of DbVisualizer - for too long, data has been stoic, dry and utterly boring. I love bringing it to life with a story. On that count, would DbVis have any interest teaming up with a solution like HighCharts to create web-ready, dynamic and interactive charts? It is nice that DbVisualizer can export charts as a static image, but there is so much content that can be made available to a end-user, why restrict them to a static picture? What I see as an amazing marriage would consist of DbVisualizer producing and rendering JSON content, much along the lines of the libraries the HighCharts makes available. Thoughts/comments? Disclosure: I am not an employee of highcharts, nor do I benefit in any way if highcharts derives any profit from this. Edited by: Charles on Apr 21, 2014 5:42 PM

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Feasibility and desirability of interactive charts?
Charles, I've just briefly browsed the HighCharts web page and it seems to be a pure web-based JavaScript solution while DbVisualizer is a desktop GUI application. Are you looking into having DbVisualizer produce the input data for HighCharts or even integrate the charting library with DbVisualizer? Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: Feasibility and desirability of interactive charts?
Roger, Good question. For clarification, I pointed to HighCharts merely as an example for what interactive, dynamic charts look like. Either of your two alternatives would be perfectly acceptable to me - the latter is obviously more work, but would make DBVisualizer that much more exciting and sexy. :) Like I said, it is fascinating that the authors chose "visualization" as their motif, especially for a database management tool. This is still a very young niche to explore, and I think it is a perfect niche. But I would like to see more emphasis on "visualization" since that plays such a central role in the company and the product. There are already many tools out there that implement a cross-platform db management system via java - what makes DBVisualizer stand out? :)