Start a new topic

Auto fill-in password on Database connection screen.

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

It would be nice if you could auto fill-in the password when keying in a previously successful username. In addition if the username could be a combo box that remembers the previous usernames, while allowing for a new username to be keyed.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Auto fill-in password on Database connection screen.
Hi Nathan, Hmmm... Usernames and passwords are meant to ensure that only authorized users can access a database. I believe your suggestions would make it easier for someone who is not authorized to get access to a database, so I don't think this is something we want to do. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hans, You already store the last successful username and password (if the user chooses "Save Between Sessions"). How is this secure, but storing multiple usernames and passwords is not? At a minimum it would be extremely helpful to at least store usernames associated with previously successful connections. Then allow the username to be chosen or overwritten in a combobox. Nathan
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi Nathan, The password stored between sessions is stored in an encrypted format. There is no easy way to get the cleartext password, e.g. by copying the content of the passwords field (where the characters are shown as asterisks) and pasting it in another editor because the copy feature is disabled in that field. And it is also possible to disable Save Between Sessions in case you want better security. In general, making it easier for someone who walks up to your workstation when you're not there to guess usernames and passwords seems like something that may get back and bite us later if it causes a security breach at some point. We are therefore very reluctant to do so. If you have a need for entering the same usernames and passwords often, I suggest you put them in a password protected file, and copy/paste from this file into DbVisualizer when needed. Best Regards, Hans