Start a new topic

Export table read configured filter

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Loving DbVisualizer. Would love it even more if we had a checkbox in the export table dialog that read, "Select using configured filter". This option would be available only if you select, "Include Table Data." It would use the filter that you configure within the "Data" tab of the table view. It would be way cool if that feature was also available in the schema export. Access to the filter within the single table export would be a nice-to-have. If linking to the filter was problematic, then having the ability to filter within the export dialog would still be helpful. I know I can export the results in the data tab, but that doesn't include complete DDL and necessitates that I first execute a query, get the results and then save it. (I'm using Oracle if it matters - also MySQL, but using Oracle where this request is most needed)

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Export table read configured filter
Eric, It sounds as if the Export Grid functionality is what you are looking for. It is available in the Data tab right-click menu as "Export" and "Export Selection". It uses any filtering and have the option to generate DDL for the table. Does this comply with your request? Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thanks for the consideration, but no, it comes up short. 1) It doesn't create complete DDL as the export table does (e.g., no indexes). 2) It requires that all data be loaded into the table first, which consumes memory. For a big table, I can (and did) run out of memory before the whole table is loaded. 3) For transfering a lot of tables, it requires an extract, wait until all data loaded and then save workflow; too time-consuming, can't run a business doing things like that. Export is a just a couple clicks and typing a filename and forget about it. 4) I cannot work in multiple threads. Technically, I can but again, memory is the issue. Multiple large tables means I run out of memory that much faster. (Yes, I know I can allocate more memory; not the point - that also has issues). I hope this helps highlight better what I mean. Again, great product - will purchase in a couple days - this additional capability would just make me estatic versus just really happy.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

HI Eric, Thanks for the clarification and additional details. Another option as you seem to work with really large result sets is the @export client side command. Based on the memory issues this may be even more suitable than the Data tab. This is basically the same that is executed when using the Export Table/Schema UI features: @export on; @export set Filename=".sql" Format="SQL"; @ddl table="" drop="false" constrctrl="noconstr" native="true"; SELECT * FROM
where `; @ddl table="
" constrctrl="onlyconstr" native="true"; @export off; More info: http://confluence.dbvis.com/display/UG91/Using+Client-Side+Commands A script can contain multiple selects that are written to different files. In addition it can be executed using the command line interface. http://confluence.dbvis.com/display/UG91/Command+Line+Interface You probably already know these commands but thought I should mention them. If this is not suitable, is it then based on that you are using different filters (where clauses) from time to time for a single table during export? (Info on this will help me understand the use case better). Regards Roger