Start a new topic

HOW DO I CREATE A TABLE SCHEMA from an existing Table. I want the SQL.

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

How do I retrieve the SQL "create table (......)" from an existing table in DBvis... I need the table schema SQL statements... Thanks

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: HOW DO I CREATE A TABLE SCHEMA from an existing Table. I want the SQL.
Briane, Download DbVisualizer 5.1 (just released). It supports generating CREATE TABLE statements for Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, Informix, Mimer, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Sybase ASE and JavaDB/Derby. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I don't think that that response addresses the question. As I understand it, the question is "If I have an existing table, how do I generate the SQL statement that will create a duplicate table with the same schema?". Version 5.1 does support CREATE TABLE for Informix but does not seem to support generating the actual SQL statement to create a duplicate table. I must admit that I haven't tried using the Create Table Wizard to create a duplicate and then previewing the SQL. That would probably work but would be (IMO) a bad solution to the problem.

Hi, Generate CREATE TABLE DDL in 5.1 generates the DDL to re-create the table. It does however not generate the SQL INSERTS to fill the data into the table. Use Export/Import to achive that. Is this answer appropriate? Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

When I right click on the table I want to copy and then select Script Object to SQL Editor and then Create Table I get the following: "com.onseven.dbvis.Z.G.C:ORDER BY column (colno) must be in SELECT list." These are the specs I'm running: Product: DbVisualizer Personal 5.1 Build: #1160 (2006/10/05 17:47) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM Java Version: 1.5.0_06-b05 Java Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc. OS Name: Windows XP OS Arch: x86 OS Version: 5.1 and I'm working with an Informix database. btw - You're second response was appropriate - thanks for the quick reply :)

Hi, Hmm... what version of Informix are you using? Can you please email the script so that we can re-create the table locally? Regards Roger

The Informix version is 7.31 Unfortunately I cannot provide you with any of the table information...

Sorry for all the fuss but this seems to be fixed in version 5.1.1 :)

Hi, I assume you mean that the error sitatuation happening with Informix no longer occur? Regards Roger

You can use the SQL: CREATE table yourschema.yourtable2 AS (SELECT * FROM yourschema.yourtable1); If you want to create table with no data then CREATE table yourschema.yourtable2 as (SELECT * FROM yourschema.yourtable1 WHERE 1=2); If you want to create table with only selected columns then you can mentioned those column names in your SELECT statement.