Start a new topic

problem with find in package source

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

The find tool works very fine. It does have one tiny little problem. When searching through a large piece of code and having found what I was looking for, I was thrown back to my previous editing point when I closed the search popup window. This was not exactly what I expected .... Can this be fixed? Thanks, Ronald.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: problem with find in package source
Ronald, I assume you mean the Find function in the editor? Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Yes it was. It did it's job perfectly well but I expected to keep the focus on the found item that I selected.

Ronald, Entering characters in the Find dialog jumps the editor to the first occurence of what it finds. Closing the dialog without pressing Find or hit the enter key will revert the location back to where it was when the dialog was displayed. If you press Find or hit enter key it should stay on the first occurence. May this be the problem that you expect it to stay without pushing Find or enter key? Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Roger, no, I did use find but did so several times before I found the correct occurence. If it works as you say, it jumps back to the first occurence, what still is not as expected... I expect it to keep at the selected line, not the first occurence of the find string. It might even be that I scrolled in the code and just closed the find dialog to cleanup the screen. Even in that case I expect to keep the focus on the cursor. regards, Ronald.

Ronald, Are you using the Find feature in the Replace dialog rather then the Find dialog? It works as I previously wrote in the Find dialog while Find in the Replace dialog works as you experience. I cannot really comment why this works different in Find and in the Replace dialog as the editor is a 3:rd party component. I'll add to the list that we should check whether this is easily fixed. (I agree that the cursor should stay where it last appeared). Regards Roger

Yes - as allways - you are right about the dialog I used. If you are looking into the find funktion, can you also add a find next shortcut? Problem with the dialog that pops up as the 'find dialog' (ctrl-F) is that is immediatly closes when hitting the FIND button. Normally ctrl-G does a find next but in dbVis shows a 'goto line' dialog. The Replace dialog keeps open after hitting find but sends the focus to an unexpected location as described. The difference between the two is a bit confusing. Ronald.

Hi Ronald, We are looking at the find/replace problem now and believe the following will improve it: - The Find window will not be closed when pressing "Find" or hitting enter in the search field i.e. clicking the Find button repetitive time will result in a Find Next. - The cursor in the editor will be moved to the last occurence in the editor only if a search has been made (not when opening the Find window and then closing it) This behaviour will be consistent in both the Find and Find/Replace windows. I hope this is what you are looking for. Regards Roger