Start a new topic

Explain plan error on MSSQL 2005

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

If I have the Max Rows option set in SQL Commander, and attempt an Explain Plan against a MS SQL 2005 server, an error is generated (SQL2005 only, SQL2000 works fine):

"Failed to enable explain mode. The SET SHOWPLAN statements must be the only statements in the batch."

It appears that the SET ROWCOUNT and SET SHOWPLAN_ALL ON are being sent in the same batch, as in:

SET ROWCOUNT 1000
SET SHOWPLAN_ALL ON
SET ROWCOUNT 0

Disabling the Max Rows option (-1) eliminates the error, but is there a way to modify the SET commands being sent to:

SET ROWCOUNT 1000
go
SET SHOWPLAN_ALL ON
go
SET ROWCOUNT 0
go

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Explain plan error on MSSQL 2005
Matt, What version of the JDBC driver are you using? I just tried with the following and don't get the problem: Microsoft SQL Server 9.00.2047 Microsoft SQL Server 2005 JDBC Driver 1.0.809.102 Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

MS SQL 9.00.3027 Microsoft SQL Server 2005 JDBC Driver 1.1.1501.101
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Matt, Try the latest early access version (just released). http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/eap (It is untested since we cannot reproduce the problem here). Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Problem seems to have been solved with 5.1.1.3. Tracing the executed SQL, I no longer see SET ROWCOUNT being executed with an Explain Plan.