Start a new topic

Cannot view DDL of view

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

I'm unsing DBVis 5.1 with Sybase ASE 12.5.

Fro the tree view I select the View that I want to look at in the Object Viewer, which displays the tables across the top: Info | Columns | Data | Row Count | Indexes | DDL

I select DDL and I get an empty screen. No DDL at all.

Is this a bug?

Thanks....

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Cannot view DDL of view
Hi Chris, Thanks for reporting this. We have not been able to reproduce the problem here, so can you please give us some more information? Does it happen for any view or just one specific view? If it's just for some views, it would be great if you can figure out the DDL some other way and share it with us. If it happens for all views or you cannot share the DDL, please turn on debugging for both DbVisualizer and the JDBC driver (under General in the Tool Properties dialog) and post the output here. Thanks, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I turned on debugging as you specified for DB Vis and the JDBC driver. Of course I see the exception occuring. I've attached the view and the debug output as you requested. Not all views seem to exhibit this behavior. Some of them display normally, but of course the ones that I want to look at don't. The attached view is a simple one so I thought it would be easier.

Thanks, I still cannot reproduce it, but it could be because I'm running a different version of Sybase. It appears that the result of a query isn't what we expect. Can you please run this query in the SQL Commander, after replacing and with the appropriate values for your setup: SELECT u.name, o.name, c.text FROM dbo.sysobjects o, dbo.syscomments c, dbo.sysusers u WHERE o.uid = u.uid AND o.id = c.id AND o.name = '' AND u.name = '' Please post the result here. Thanks, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I executed the query that you provided replacing with the view name ('domains') and the with 'dbo'. I exported the results to and Excel spreadsheet. The table that the view is selecting against is rather simple as well. I've included the DDL for it just in case.

Thanks for all your help with this. It looks like the result from the query has exactly two rows, correct? And you didn't get any errors or warnings when you executed the query manually? I will take a closer look at this and I'll let you know what I find or if I need more assistance from you to resolve it. Regards, Hans

Ah, I know why it fails now. This will be fixed soon, most likely in the next EA. Thanks again, Hans

I'm glad you found it. So when will the next EA be released?

Chris, Expect the 5.1.1.4 early access version on Friday this week. Regards Roger