Start a new topic

no ui for COMMENT ON in postgresql

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I noticed that dbvis has GUI support for COMMENT ON for Oracle and other databases but it seems that this is not supported in PostgreSQL. Is this feature not implemented for some reason? Is it implemented and I'm not looking in the right place? E.g. I would expect to be able to be able to select a table, click the action button and then see "ON COMMENT" somewhere.

Also (assuming this was implemented) is there an easy way to view comments?

dbvis 5.1.1 licensed.
Postgres JDBC driver 8.2-504

thanks!
Robert.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: no ui for COMMENT ON in postgresql
Hi Robert, I'll let Roger answer the question about GUI for COMMENT ON, but I can answer the question about how to see comments for PostgreSQL objects. You can see Table comments in the Info tab when you select the table (see REMARKS), and column comments are shown in the Columns tab (the REMARKS column in the grid). You can also use the DDL tab to see COMMENT ON statements for the table. columns and constraints, all in one place. Hans

Robert, We'll add Comment support for PostgreSQL 8+ in the next version. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thanks! I'm looking forward to the next version. Robert.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hello, I am using the current version of DBVisualizer 6.5.7 and PostgreSQL 8.4. I'm looking for the same feature like Robert to comment on columns. Has there been any progress or is this feature still not implemented? Thanks in advance. Great product by the way! Greetings, Simon

Hi Simon, The original request was for comments on Tables, and that was added in DbVisualizer 6.0, along with comments on Schema, View, Index and Sequence. I'll add your request for comments on Column to our feature request list. Best Regards, Hans

Hi Hans, thank you for your response. Hope for a successful feature request as this would help documenting a database schema, especially newly designed ones, enourmously. Best regards, Simon

Btw, is there a place where I can observe the progress of this feature request. Or is it on your internal list? Best regards, Simon

Hi Simon, It's an internal list. Best Regards, Hans