Start a new topic

Filtering schemas not working on DB2 z/OS with DBVis 6.0

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

I'm connecting to DB2 z/OS databases version 7 and 8 (compatibility mode). After switching from DBVis 5.1.1 to 6.0 filtering schemas does not work anymore.

(see attached log)

The critical line is:
15:39:06 [ERROR Thread-51 B.?] Could not find filter column name 'TABLE_SCHEM' in DataSet. Notify vendor as the database profile is in an inconsistent state.

I know that DB2 z/OS is not officially supported but maybe there is a work-around?

Gerd.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Filtering schemas not working on DB2 z/OS with DBVis 6.0
Gerd, Please choose the [b]Tables[/b] object in the tree and then grab a screenshot of the result. Either post it here or email it to us. Regards Roger support@minq.se

Sorry I meant the [b]Schemas[/b] object. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

The attached screenshot shows that only a subset of the schemas in the tree is listed in the right-hand window, but that was the same in 5.1.1.

Also, that error message "Could not find filter column name 'TABLE_SCHEM' in DataSet" is not written into the log every time I open the schemas list. It seems to appear inconsistently after activating/deactivating the tree filter or re-connecting to the DB.

Hope this helps - TIA
   Gerd.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi.

About the schemas-list, remember that for DB2 for z/OS this only includes 'real' schemas and not owners which also are listed in the objects tree. Real schemas are part of triggers, stored procedures etc.

When it comes to filtering, I've experienced the same behaviour: For some subsystems the filter works as in earlier versions, for others the error "Could not find filter column name 'TABLE_SCHEM' ..." appears. However the error is consistent on the same subsystems over several connections and stop/start of dbvis.
I've tried to duplicate a connection with a well functioning filter and redirected this connection to a subsystem where the filter is usually is failing. The error now reappears in the filter function. This could indicate that what triggers the error comes from DB2 (?)

Roger, do you know which information from DB2 is used in the filter process (apart from owner/schema) ??

Kind regards  /  Schlosser

Hi, There seems to be an incompatibility somewhere... It would be great if you can modify the DBVIS-HOME\resources\profiles\dbvis-zos.xml file. Open it in a text editor and locate the following block at the end of the file: [nobr] [pre] [/pre] [/nobr] Modify this line: [nobr] [pre] [/pre] [/nobr] Then re-connect in DbVisualizer and choose the [b]Schemas[/b] object in the tree. The object view should display information about all schemas and there should be a [b]TABLE_SCHEM[/b] column which the filtering relies on. Apparently this column is not there in some cases. Please post a screenshot. (reverse the edits you've made when the test has been made). Regards Roger

Poul Erik and Gerd, Do also make sure you are using the latest 6.0.2 version. Regards Roger

Okay, I tried this with v 6.0.2 but I don't see the TABLE_SCHEM column. The only difference I see is that now all the schemas are displayed in the right-hand window.

The entries in the attached log file correspond to the actions as follows:
15:07:49 : Connect to database
15:08:02 : Click on Schemas entry
15:08:13 : Open Schemas subtree

Greetings,
   Gerd.

Gerd and Poul Erik, I think we've identified the problem and a fix will be in the next version. Regards Roger

Sorry, no visible change with DBVis 6.0.3 (DB2 z/OS V7 and V8 Compatibility Mode). Gerd.

Gerd, Bad... Good news is that we will get access to DB2 on z/OS tomorrow and for the next 2 weeks. We will then be able to test this. Regards Roger

Any new findings from your two weeks of testing?

Greetings,
   Gerd.

Gerd, Too bad, no... We'll most likely get access to z/OS next week. Sorry. Regards Roger

Gerd, Just to inform you that we have DB2 z/OS access now. I'll keep you updated. Regards Roger

Gerd, Save the attached db2-zos.xml file as: DBVIS-HOME\resources\profiles\db2-zos.xml And then try out the Schema filtering. Please post the result. Regards Roger