Start a new topic

Table of View does not exist error

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I have established a successful connection to an Oracle DB, and can see the tables, look at the columns, click on the data tab in the object view, etc., but when I try to execute a SQL query against any of the tables, I get the following error message:

"... Physical database connection acquired for: GROW
 09:16:01  [SELECT - 0 row(s), 0.000 secs]  [Error Code: 942, SQL State: 42000]  ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
... 1 statement(s) executed, 0 row(s) affected, exec/fetch time: 0.000/0.000 sec [0 successful, 0 warnings, 1 errors]"

I cannot determine what is causing this error.  I cannot execute any SQL statements, no matter how simple.

Thanks for your help...Tom

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Table of View does not exist error
Hi Tom, Is the Schema selected in the SQL Commander the correct schema for the table? Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thanks Hans...I don't know how to check to see if the correct schema is selected in the SQL Commander mode.

Tom, Above the editor in the SQL Commander, there is a Schema selection control. Make sure it is set to the schema the table belongs too, since the selected schema is used as the default for unqualified names in the SQL you enter in the editor. Alternatively, you can qualify the the table name in the SQL statement, e.g. "SELECT * FROM mySchema.MyTable" Best regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thanks again Hans....

I did find out that the schema not being specified is the problem.  If I qualify all the table names with the "schema." prefix, my queries work.  What I cannot understand is why I have to do that.  I do not show the schema control above the sql editor box.  I have the dbconnection and database controls, but no schema control.  Not sure how to get the control to be visible?

Thx..Tom

Tom, You are probably running DbVisualizer Free and there is not schema drop down in it. We'll enable this in DbVis Free in a coming release. Until it is available you need to prefix object names with schema name. Regards Roger