Start a new topic

SQL formatting and back-slash character

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

There seems to be an issue with using the back-slash character in the dbvisualizer editor. I frequently have this kind of SQL code:

.... OR c.column_name LIKE '%\_SK\_%'  ESCAPE '\'  
    AND c.column_name NOT IN (      
          SELECT column_name FROM USER_IND_COLUMNS) ....

The problem is that the back-slash character seems to be interpreted an escape for the editor, so that the closing single quote of the "ESCAPE" clause above is not taken as a single closing quote of a literal. The result is hat everything that comes afterwards is rendered in red, indicating literal text, when in fact everything after it might not be literal text. Is there a way to get around this. Have I overlooked a configuration setting?

Scott.

1 person has this question

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: SQL formatting and back-slash character
Hi, Just to inform that this is now fixed in the latest DbVisualizer 8.0 version. Regards Roger

Hi, The next feature release will use a new editor component, which among other things means that we have finally resolved this issue. It is part of the just released Early Access version: http://www.dbvis.com/products/dbvis/eap If you're interested in this feature, we appreciate if you try it out in the Early Access version and provide us with your feedback in the Early Access forum so we can fix potential issues before the production release: http://www.dbvis.com/forum/forum.jspa?forumID=8 Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Message removed as the issue may be bigger than I first thought. Ed Edited by: Ed on 05-Mar-2009 16:16

Morten, This is still unsolved. We are currently looking into replacing the editor which is a 3:rd party component and that will solve this issue as well. Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I am testing your 6.5.4 version and the problem still exists. I connect to Sybase and therefor I have setup my SQL Formatting --> Source SQL = Sybase. But the coler problem still exists when we write '\' Is there an option i have missed or is the problem still unsolved after 2 years? Edited by: Morten on Mar 5, 2009 7:39 AM

Thanks Hans. I look forward to the solution. For now, I think I will choose something other than the back-slash character as my escape character. Back-slash is so over-used in languages.

Scott.

Edited by: Scott McIntosh on Oct 26, 2008 1:47 PM

Hi Scott, There are some databases (e.g., MySQL) that allow quotes to be "escaped" with a backslash, and this is a rule the color-coding currently applies with the result you see. In order to handle your case as well, we must find a way to dynamically change the color-coding rules (based on the database or a user property setting). That is, however, harder than it sounds. Hopefully I can find a solution, but I cannot tell you when it will be available until I've looked at it more detail. Best Regards, Hans

My sample text didn't quite come out correctly above. There's no space between the back-slash and the single quote that begins the red text. But for some reason this forum text editor puts a space there. Here we go again, text editors trying to be very very smart.  

I am using the latest -  6.0.7.

Scott, What DbVis version are you using? Have you tried the latest 6.0.7 version? Regards Roger