Start a new topic

enum support in MySQL

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi, we're currently evaluating DbVisualizer (on linux/java 1.6 and OS X/java 1.5 against MySQL 5.0.37/45/51) and have hit a problem: we use enum fields in MySQL, and DbVisualizer as it stands appears to have no means of creating or maintaining tables containing the things: no way of entering the list of values on creation and, a show-stopper, no way of editing the structure of a table containing them even if they're not being changed - DbVisualizer insists on attempting to break all enum fields whenever any change at all is requested.

I appreciate that enums are an utterly non-standard SQL feature, but given you support MySQL as a database and recognise that they exist, the least I would hope for be that you leave them alone.

This aside, we're favourably impressed by DbVisualizer, and will certainly be buying if this issue can be addressed.

[ NB: the same problem appears to apply to sets too ]

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: enum support in MySQL
Hi Pete, You're right about ENUM and SET; the Create Table and Alter Table dialogs do not handle them today, and like you say, the Alter Table dialog incorrectly generates ALTER statements for tables that contain columns of these types. As a work-around for the Alter Table dialog, you can make all the other changes you want to do, copy all generated ALTER statements to the SQL Commander (you can use the Copy button in the SQL Preview toolbar), delete the invalid ALTER statements for the ENUM and SET columns and execute the rest. Adding complete support for these column types is on our long term feature request list, but I'll look into making some simple changes for the Alter Table dialog so that it doesn't create invalid ALTER statements initially. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thanks, Hans. Proper support for MySQL's more exotic field types would be an ideal, but if you can at least in the short term alter the update table code to skip fields it doesn't understand, that would make the program far more useful to us here. Pete.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi Pete, I found a fairly simple fix for skipping these fields. It will be included in the next maintenance release. Best Regards, Hans