Start a new topic

Syonyms with Oracle

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Why can't I see synonyms for a schema in dbvisualizer?  I can see them when I log into pl/sql developer, I can select * from them, I just can't see them in the Object view.  It's a huge pain.

Anyone else experience this?

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Syonyms with Oracle
Jamie, (Assuming you are using the DbVis Free edition or the "generic" database profile). I just tried and I see them in the object tree. If you are running DbVisualizer Personal make sure you have chosen "Oracle" as the Database Type and that the "Profile" field in the Connection tab status bar is "oracle" once connected. If you are using DbVisualizer Free then try add a driver property with the name "includeSynonyms" and set its value to "true". Re-connect and explore the objects tree again. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I'm using DBVis personal (bought it 2 weeks ago).  I set the profile to oracle (version 1.25) and still can't see them...any other thoughts?  If this doesn't work, I'm probably going to ask for a refund from the company.

Jamie, Please post or email a screenshot. Regards Roger support@minq.se
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

you'll note in dbvis_issue.gif...the select is from the synonym and it's returning results but the syn doesn't show in the object view.

Jamie, This is the SQL DbVis execute to get information about all synonyms in a schema: SELECT s.owner "Synonym Owner", s.synonym_name "Synonym Name", s.table_owner "Object Owner", s.table_name "Object Name", decode(s.db_link, null, replace(o.object_type, ' ', ''), 'TABLE') "Type", s.db_link "DB Link" FROM all_synonyms s, all_objects o WHERE (s.owner = '$owner') and s.table_name = o.object_name and s.table_owner = o.owner and o.object_type not in ('PACKAGE BODY') order by 2 You need to change $owner to the actual schema. I assume you get zero hits when executing this? What happen if you execute the following simplified SQL: SELECT * FROM all_synonyms WHERE owner = '$owner' Regards Roger

First query: ... Physical database connection acquired for: Man Fin Recon 08:06:07 [SELECT - 0 row(s), 0.000 secs] Empty result set fetched ... 1 statement(s) executed, 0 row(s) affected, exec/fetch time: 0.100/0.000 sec [0 successful, 1 warnings, 0 errors] Second query: Returns the synonym that I can 'select *' from Is this what you expected?

Jamie, Thanks! The result is somewhat strange since the synonym show in the all_synonyms system table but not in all_objects (which should keep information about all objects including synonyms). I have attached a modified oracle.xml file that hopefully solves this. Save it as: DBVIS-HOME\resources\profiles\oracle.xml Please let me know the result. Regards Roger

Progress....
I can see the synonyms...but when I try to view the data, on the 'data' tab, I get:

An error occurred while performing the operation:
You probably don't have the required privileges to view this object

thoughts?

Jamie, Post a screenshot of the Synonyms listing and the one of the Data tab. You may also enable debug mode. This will then reveal what SQL DbVis execute to get the data for the Synonym. Read more in: http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/faq.html#6.11 Regards Roger

Here are the files you request

debug output:
[cleared]
07:07:45 [DEBUG Thread-18 L.execute] Executing...
07:07:45 [DEBUG Thread-18 L.setCurrentCatalog] DbConnection='Man Fin Recon' Catalog='null' Schema='null' NewCatalog='null'
07:07:45 [DEBUG Thread-18 C.invoke] RootConnection: OracleConnection.prepareStatement("select * from ZE_DATA.MAN_FINANCIAL_DAILY_SETTLEMENT")
07:07:45 [DEBUG Thread-18 L.prepareStatement] SQL: select * from ZE_DATA.MAN_FINANCIAL_DAILY_SETTLEMENT
07:07:45 [DEBUG Thread-18 C.invoke] RootConnection: OracleConnection.nativeSQL("select * from ZE_DATA.MAN_FINANCIAL_DAILY_SETTLEMENT")
07:07:45 [DEBUG Thread-18 B.invoke] RootConnection: OraclePreparedStatement.execute()
07:07:45 [DEBUG AWT-EventQueue-1 C.?] DbConnection='Man Fin Recon' Catalog='null' Schema='ZE_DATA' Table='MAN_FINANCIAL_DAILY_SETTLEMENT'

Jamie, The problem is accessing objects via DB link synonyms. I have attached a new profile that may solve this. Just save it as: DBVIS-HOME/resources/profiles/oracle.xml Regards Roger

Fixed!!!
Thanks Roger!

Jamie, The synonyms fix is now included in the 6.0.9 version. http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis Regards Roger