Start a new topic

stop button doesnt work

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

hi,

i cant interrupt statements in 6.0.7. that worked in previous 5.1.1. button stop is highlighted (red) but i cant press it. i switched tabs and button is now disabled but query is running.

db is postgresql 8.1.4

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: stop button doesnt work
Thomas, I just tried a number of combinations with several tabs all running and then I try Stop and it works every time. You say Stop button is disabled. Is the button gray (non clickable) when this occur or is it clickable but nothing happens when it's pressed? Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

the button is red (active state) but not clickable. after tab switch the button is gray. looks like a display problem

Thomas, What OS and Java version are you using? Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

os opensuse 10.2

Product:  DbVisualizer Personal 6.0.7
Build:  #1294 (2007/12/06 15:21)
Java VM:  Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM
Java Version:  1.5.0_11-b03
Java Vendor:  Sun Microsystems Inc.
OS Name:  Linux
OS Arch:  i386
OS Version:  2.6.18.8-0.7-default

Thomas, I recommend that you try the latest Java 1.6 version. What window manager are you using? Regards Roger

same with Sun JDK 1.6.0_03-b05 and BEA JRockit(R) R27.2.0-131-78843-1.6.0-20070320-1511-linux-ia32

difference: stop is red after tab switch but doesnt work

will test latest jdk in ~2h

One related thing is the semantic of stopping an ongoing SQL processing: When Stop is pressed DbVis requests the JDBC driver to cancel the ongoing SQL. This requires that the JDBC driver is implementing the cancel interface properly. In addition it also means that the JDBC driver should do any necessary clean-up quite fast after cancel is initiated. Some drivers do cancel the ongoing processing but the control is then not at once passed to the client (DbVisualizer) leading to the Stop button still being active and the SQL editor is continuing processing the SQL (well it seem so anyway). Regards Roger

i tried with latest sun jdk, same result. i tried same jdbc driver and jdk (same files) as with dbvis 5.1.1
stopping a query works in dbvis 5.1.1 and not in 6.0.7. stop button is highlighted but has no action.

last try (jdk1.6.0_04 x32, fresh download from sun):
Java VM:  Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM
Java Version:  10.0-b19
OS Name:  Linux
OS Arch:  i386
OS Version:  2.6.18.8-0.7-default

Thomas, What database are you using? Can you please post a screenshot of the SQL Commander with the dead Stop button? A test you may do is to enable debug of DbVis. When you press Stop an entry will be echoed in the debug output. Read more in: http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/faq.html#6.11 Regards Roger
[Attachment has been removed.]

screenshot attached. db is postgresql 8.1.4 linux x32. as i wrote cancelling statements was ok in dbvis 5.1.1. thats a must have for us

as you can see stop button looks activated. but i cant press it and there is NO debugoutput.

debug output (i pressed stop really often):
20:48:35 [DEBUG Thread-16 H.setCurrentSchema] DbConnection='test' Catalog='null' Schema='public' NewSchema='public'
20:48:35 [DEBUG Thread-16 C.invoke] DefaultEditor-0: Jdbc3Connection.prepareStatement("select * from person")
20:48:35 [DEBUG Thread-16 H.prepareStatement] SQL: select * from person
20:48:35 [DEBUG Thread-16 C.invoke] DefaultEditor-0: Jdbc3Connection.nativeSQL("select * from person")
20:48:35 [DEBUG Thread-16 B.invoke] DefaultEditor-0: Jdbc3PreparedStatement.execute()

i tried again and i got one more debug message:
21:02:51 [DEBUG AWT-EventQueue-1 U.stopExecution] Forced interrupt of executor thread

another working test in dbvis 5.1.1 (same driver, same db, same jdk)
21:07:25 [DEBUG Thread-8 U.?] Db=test Cat=xxx OldVar=xxx
21:07:25 [DEBUG Thread-8 U.?] Executing...
21:07:25 [DEBUG Thread-8 U.?] prepareStatement(select * from person)
21:07:25 [DEBUG Thread-8 U.?] SQL: select * from person
21:07:25 [DEBUG Thread-8 U.?] nativeSQL from driver: select * from person
21:07:29 [DEBUG AWT-EventQueue-1 C.?] Forced interrupt of executor thread
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: canceling statement due to user request
    at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.receiveErrorResponse(QueryExecutorImpl.java:1548)
    at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.processResults(QueryExecutorImpl.java:1316)
    at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.execute(QueryExecutorImpl.java:191)
    at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.execute(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:452)
    at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.executeWithFlags(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:351)
    at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.execute(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:344)
    at com.onseven.dbvis.sql.U.?(Unknown Source)
    at com.onseven.dbvis.M.C.?(Unknown Source)
    at com.onseven.dbvis.M.C.access$500(Unknown Source)
    at com.onseven.dbvis.M.C$A.construct(Unknown Source)
    at se.pureit.swing.util.SwingWorker$2.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
SQLException: SQLState(57014)

Thomas, Thanks a lot for your assistance! The issue has now been found and a fix will be introduced in the next version. It will be available later this week. Best Regards Roger

Roger,

Has this been also addressed for Sybase ASE driver?  We have the same problem, especially when the query is deep into executing state, the app hangs trying to cancel the execution...    ALso, not sure if this is rel;ated, but on some occasions, our DBAs reported that there were still hanging locks from the dbVIS  SPIDs.

Java VM:  Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
Java Version:  1.6.0_03-b05
OS Name:  Windows XP
OS Arch:  x86
OS Version:  5.1

Alex, The fix we have implemented will solve this for all databases. Regards Roger