Start a new topic

Font Anti-aliasing Problem on Dbvis 6.0.9 (Fedora 8)?

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

I noticed that the main menu bars are no longer anti-aliased - compared to pre-6.0.9 versions? This is on *Fedora 8* linux running on *Sun Java 1.6.0_05*. Also, 'Edit-Cell-in-Window' is only able to display AA fonts when 'Use-Wrapped-Editor (automatic word wrap)' is ticked/selected. I already have *-Dswing.aatext=true* in my dbvis.vmoptions file, BTW. +Can this (Anti-Aliasing) be made more consistent (i.e. forced "enabled" under Tool Properties->Appearance->Font) throughout the app - including the SQL commander on the Linux/Unix versions?+ Edited by: Ricky Banaag on Mar 24, 2008 3:20 PM - Added screenshot.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: Font Anti-aliasing Problem on Dbvis 6.0.9 (Fedora 8)?
Roger, Thank you. 'Am glad you guys found what's causing this. 'Looking forward to the next releases. Thanks again. Ricky
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Ricky, Sorry for the delay. We have identified this as a problem in a 3:rd party library DbVis use. Hopefully we'll get a fix soon. Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Roger, The +problem+ seems to persist - and now, I've started seeing the same on versions 6.0.10 and the latest beta 6.1.1.2 (probably since these were branched off the 6.0.9 version?). The last versions not having this is/are: 6.0.8 and 6.1.1.1. Something has definitely changed - since these two versions. The main menu continues to be non-AAd. Some entries in the menus are not AA'd as well - while some are (mind boggling). Not only this, changing fonts from the Tool Properties is no longer possible from the picklists - as it immediately closes when clicking on it. To change fonts, I've had to directly type the font names/sizez on the field. I'm sticking to 6.0.8/6.1.1.1 for now. I hope this gets +resolved+ in the next final version. Thanks anyway. Ricky P.S. Are there any others here using Linux and experiencing the same? If you happen to be using font size 6, 'will appreciate to hear from you (i.e. compiz/compiz-fusion enabled?disabled? truetype font used? TTF fonts installed? etc.).

Ricky, Sorry for the delay. > Update: > I did a comparison of the System Properties - and noticed the value of *user.dir* on version 6.0.9 seem "defaulting" to dbvis install folder. +Roger, could this be affecting the default AA settings? Could you let me know how is this var being 'read' and 'set' by dbvis?+ This is a Java property and indicates "User's current working directory". It shouldn't affect the AA problem you see. If possible it would be great if you can try the latest early access version of DbVisualizer just to check whether the problem is there also. http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/eap Regards Roger

Roger, I doubt it has to do with my linux environment settings. I temporarily increased the UI font-size in my profile and captured a snapshot of versions 6.0.8, 6.0.9 and the beta 6.1.1.1 - all concurrently running +(i.e. same user, same jdk, same profile)+ and only the 6.0.9 is showing the non-AA'ed fonts problem. I do --most-- all of my DB work on a laptop - so I constantly work with small fonts. With 6.0.9 - and at my +age+, the small non-AA'd fonts is a real pain to read - after a few hours work. I hope downgrading back to 6.0.8 is not the solution - as I sure would like to continue subscribing to future upgrades/releases of DbVis. Any ideas? Update: I did a comparison of the System Properties - and noticed the value of *user.dir* on version 6.0.9 seem "defaulting" to dbvis install folder. +Roger, could this be affecting the default AA settings? Could you let me know how is this var being 'read' and 'set' by dbvis?+ Edited by: Ricky Banaag on Mar 25, 2008 3:42 PM - Corrected typo. Edited by: Ricky Banaag on Mar 26, 2008 11:39 AM - Upload System Properties comparison snapshot; Added update.

Ricky, There is a *Anti-aliased Fonts* setting in the Tool Properties Font category. Have you tried it? I just tested 6.0.9 with FC7 and Java 1.6 and the fonts are AA'ed, except the SQL editor which doesn't support AA. (This is the same editor component you see in the *Cell Editor* window and in the SQL Commander). Have a look at the screenshot. May it be something else in your environment that causes this as we haven't touched the AA implementation since 6.0 was released? Best Regards Roger