Start a new topic

Decimal conversion on export !!

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Can someone please explain why, why, why why, would you have a *DEFAULT* settings of converting the decimal number to ##.{color:#ff0000}*0* {color}{color:#000000}Unfortunately, we only noticed it just now after exporting daily feeds of data for about a year and a half ago ... Now, we need to load the historic data and recreate these feeds day by day, trade by trade. Also, event when the Decimal Number Format in the Tool Properties is set to Unformatted (and save it), when you get to the export dialog --- the format is still set to ###.0 ... You have 5 types of export formats (csv, html, sql,etc..) --- can we have the ability of saving common export settings for each of the formats. Ex, when exporting to the Clipboard, i want a Tab to be a delimiter, when exporting to csv --- a comma and Number be formatted this way, for the clipboard Number formatted other way, . etc... Product: DbVisualizer Personal 6.0.11 Build: #1305 (2008/05/27 23:09) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM Java Version: 1.6.0_05 Java Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc. OS Name: Windows XP OS Arch: x86 OS Version: 5.1 {color}

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Decimal conversion on export !!
Hi Alex, > Can someone please explain why, why, why why, would you have a *DEFAULT* settings of converting the decimal > number to ##.{color:#ff0000}*0* {color}{color:#000000}Unfortunately, we only noticed it just now after exporting daily feeds of data for about a year and a half ago ... > Now, we need to load the historic data and recreate these feeds day by day, trade by trade. I am sorry that this has caused you extra work. I agree that "Unformatted" is a better default, so we will change this in the next version. > Also, event when the Decimal Number Format in the Tool Properties is set to Unformatted (and save it), when you get to the export dialog --- the format is still set to ###.0 ... The formats you set in Tool Properties are used only for the values shown in the grids in DbVisualizer. The formats used for Export must be usable in INSERT statements and may therefore be different than what you want to use in the grids. > You have 5 types of export formats (csv, html, sql,etc..) --- can we have the ability of saving common export settings for each of the formats. Ex, when exporting to the Clipboard, i want a Tab to be a delimiter, when exporting to csv --- a comma and Number be formatted this way, for the clipboard Number formatted other way, . etc... You can use the existing Save/Load Settings feature in the Export Grid dialog to accomplish this. Kind Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hans, 1) I +am sorry that this has caused you extra work. I agree that "Unformatted" is a better default, so we will change this in the next version.+ {color:#008080} Great!{color}{color:#333399} {color} 2) +The formats you set in Tool Properties are used only for the values shown in the grids in DbVisualizer. The formats used for Export must be usable in INSERT statements and may therefore be different than what you want to use in the grids.+ {color:#339966}Hanz, bottom line is -- decimal number needs to be a decimal whether you exporting it, preparing for an insert, or for any other output option... If I have a value of 123.43 --- I want to make sure it gets exported as is, and not worry about changing a format every time i launch a dbVis.{color} 3) +You can use the existing Save/Load Settings feature in the Export Grid dialog to accomplish this.+ {color:#339966} Every time a user click on preferred export format, he needs to remember to Click on Settings - Load and find the settings file? I think that this calls for the Export option in your Tool Properties, where users may customize and permanently save every format they way they need to in their environments, and not worry about doing unnecessary work of making extra 10 clicks. Please advise. Thank you. {color}

Hi Alex, >> 2) +The formats you set in Tool Properties are used only for the values shown in the grids in DbVisualizer. The formats used for Export must be usable in INSERT statements and may therefore be different than what you want to use in the grids. > > Hanz, bottom line is -- decimal number needs to be a decimal whether you exporting it, preparing for an insert, or for any other output option... If I have a value of 123.43 --- I want to make sure it gets exported as is, and not worry about changing a format every time i launch a dbVis. Maybe I wasn't clear. I was just describing how the data format settings in Tool Properties are used, namely that they are only used for formatting the values for display in the grids. For decimal numbers, it is probably the same format as you would use for export, but date and time can be formatted in many different ways for display while they need to be in ISO format in an INSERT statement for most databases. >> 3) You can use the existing Save/Load Settings feature in the Export Grid dialog to accomplish this. > Every time a user click on preferred export format, he needs to remember to Click on Settings - Load and find the settings file? > > I think that this calls for the Export option in your Tool Properties, where users may customize and permanently save every format they way they need to in their environments, and not worry about doing unnecessary work of making extra 10 clicks. There need to be many settings to handle this if we put it in the Tool Properties, at least 15 sets of properties to handle the combination of output format (5) and output destination (3) that you asked for. The current Save/Load Settings is more flexible, and it typically does not take more than a few clicks to find and load a settings file. We have not heard any suggestions for changing this until now, so the current way of handling probably works fine for most people. Changing the default format for decimal numbers to "Unformatted" will hopefully mean that it works fine for you as well. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hans, Since extra clicks are always deemed inconvenient, can we then settle for this? Have one option that loads the specified Settings file by default in the Export dialog? In other words, I configure all the formats in the Export dialog once, I save this file, and indicate that I want the Export dialog to use the settings from this file from now on. I think its a good, compromising suggestion.

Alex, Sounds reasonable. I'll add this as a feature request. Thanks! Best Regards Roger

I was hoping for this to be released with 6.1.1.4 ...

Alex, As said earlier it is on the future list. Best Regards Roger

Hi Alex, A solution for this has now been implemented and will appear in the next EA and/or feature release. You will be able to save the settings you want to use as the defaults via a new Save As Defaults operation in the Settings menu, in both the Export Grid and Export Schema dialogs . Best Regards, Hans