Start a new topic

Cannot Type in Some Dialogs

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

System: Xubuntu/Ubuntu (issue on both) JDK 1.6.0_10 DBVIS 6.0.9 Compiz turned off In some dialogs, primarily create new database/table and alter table, the textfields won't allow me to type in t hem. The only way around that is to do something that forces an error. For example, if I choose to create a new database I can't type in the name for the database until I hit Execute, the error dialog shows up, I dismiss that, and then I can type in the text field. I did a search but didn't find a similar thread. And ideas? Edited by: Gregg on Aug 20, 2008 4:27 AM

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Cannot Type in Some Dialogs
Gregg, We are running Ubuntu 7 and 8 (standard configs) and it works fine. I suspect that what you are seeing is related to your environment. I found the following which may assist finding the cause: http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6509038 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=515414 Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thanks. As I said, I do not have Compiz turned on. It is disabled. I also run IntelliJ IDEA and I do not have this problem with it. Only DbVisualizer. I might try running with with Java5 and seeing if the problem still exists. I don't believe this is an environment issue. Gregg
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Just be to be more clear.... The compiz/java issue typically produces the blank dialogs which I don't get. I've researched this bug quite a bit in the past. It is the reason I don't use Compiz. I run quite a few java based applications. There is another focus issue with Compiz + Java if you try and use an AWT_MTOOLKIT environment setting (hack) to try and deal with the compiz + java bug. This causes similar behavior to what I am experiencing. However, the Java+Compiz bugs are intermittent where as the issue I described happens every single time. And again, it only happens in DbVisualizer. I tried Java 1.5.0_16 and the bug still exists. In case it matters, I do own a license for DbVisualizer. Thanks. Gregg

Gregg, Problems like these are very difficult when we are unable to reproduce, along with the fact that it only happen a few users. Do you see the same problem in the latest 6.0.13 version? Have you tried different look and feels (set in tool properties)? Does the text fields that don't accept input have another look than a text field accepting input (like shading, color, etc)? Regards Roger

Hello, we have the same Problem here with Ubuntu 8.10 and dbVisalizer 6.5.3. Is there a Solution for this? Greetings, Urkman

Urkman, The workaround is to press *Execute* in the actions dialog then press *No* in the confirmation dialog that appear. Once it disappear you are able to edit text fields... Note that this procedure must be repeated every time the actions dialog is displayed. We are working on a permanent fix. Thanks! Best Regards Roger

Hi, This is now fixed in the 6.5.4 version. http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/download/ Best Regards Roger