Start a new topic

How exactly do I upgrade DbVisualizer?

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Perhaps its me but upgrading DbVisualizer always seems to be a bit of a struggle. What is the recommended way of doing this so that as much state (e.g. history and connection settings) as possible is preserved?. Maybe I am doing something wrong but I always seem to have to specify the built-in drivers explicitly and/or remake all my connections. Am I expected to delete the old version before installing the new one? So how do I upgrade? Just using the new installer has never done it for me. Quite happy to switch between 6.0.13 and the EA version if it helps to debug stuff. Mac OSX if that is relevant. Edited by: Ed on 11-Sep-2008 09:36

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: How exactly do I upgrade DbVisualizer?
Ed, Normally just download the new version and run. The new version should automatically use the old settings. We did a change in DbVisualizer 4.2 (Jan 2005) whereas we moved the location of the user settings files. So if you are switching between a pre 4.2 version and any version released after and including 4.2, problems may happen. (I doubt that this is the scenario in your case?) We've been using Mac OS X as the primary developer platform since 2 years back and never seen the problem you describe. The user settings for DbVisualizer are stored in the */Users//.dbvis* directory. For testing purposes, make a copy of that directory. Then launch the new version and watch what happen with the *~/.dbvis/config/dbvis.xml* file (it keeps most of your settings). You can also enable debug of DbVisualizer in case it may report something useful. (http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/doc/faq/faq.jsp#4.14) Keep me updated about your findings. Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

OK, a quick update on this now I have got round to using 6.5 In the JDBC driver manager I turned off "Run JDBC Driver Finder at Startup" because the drivers available are static and it saves some startup time. Consequently on the first run of a newly installed version there were no JDBC drivers available. Selecting Tools/Driver Manager and clicking the Find icon causes the drivers to be found again. Then restarting DBvisualizer causes all connections to have the correct details set up. The more elegant fix would be force the Driver Finder to run on any newly installed system regardless of the preference setting (or at least issue a warning that the finder should be run) Ed

Ed, Having a new DbVis version and discovering new/updated drivers is currently not 100% perfect as you've discovered. We will look into improving this in a future version. Thanks! Best Regards Roger

Ed, This is now fixed in the 7.1 version. Regards Roger