Start a new topic

Dynamic memory management

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

I've had dbVis open for a few days, ran some code, opened connections, closed connections, pinned tabs, unpinned them, etc. But dbVis seems to never release memory when objects are closed. Look at the screenshot --- dbVis takes up more than half of gig of memory. You can also see another thread of dbVis that only taks up 32k of memory, that I recently started. Please advise... Product: DbVisualizer Personal 6.1.1.4 Build: #1330 (2008/09/22 18:21) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM Java Version: 1.6.0_05 Java Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc. OS Name: Windows XP OS Arch: x86 OS Version: 5.1

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Dynamic memory management
lex, Try upgrade to the just released 6.5 version. Just a week or so ago we fixed a memory problem that caused the process to grow. Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

No luck. Used it for a day, shut down all the sql tabs, all connections ---- Mem Usage: 323,560K .... As I was closing things, I was keeping an eye on the task manager and did not even see the mem being released... Product: DbVisualizer Personal 6.5 Build: #1339 (2008/10/23 11:47) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM Java Version: 1.6.0_05 Java Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc. OS Name: Windows XP OS Arch: x86 OS Version: 5.1 Edited by: AlexML on Oct 28, 2008 1:21 PM Edited by: AlexML on Oct 28, 2008 1:22 PM
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Anything on this? --- keeps eating up all the resources

Alex, Not yet but we will definitely look into it. Best Regards Roger

Hi. Any luck with this? dbvis.exe is continuing to be the top memory consumer.. Even the Debug Window memory indicator does not indicate that the memory is being released when the tabs & connections are closed.. Product: DbVisualizer Personal 6.5.3 Build: #1361 (2009/01/12 00:11) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM Java Version: 1.6.0_11 Java Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc. OS Name: Windows XP OS Arch: x86 OS Version: 5.1

I suspect similar behaviour here. Opened a connection, did a query, closed the connection. Repeated once. Memory usage increased with each query and even while quiet with no connections open. Product: DbVisualizer Personal 6.5.3 Build: #1361 (2009/01/12 00:11) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM Java Version: 1.5.0_16 Java Vendor: Apple Inc. OS Name: Mac OS X OS Arch: ppc OS Version: 10.5.6 Ed

Alex & Ed, We haven't made any groundbreaking progress in this area. The reason is simply that we are unable to point at the problem in code. If we connect, expand a few nodes, click on a table, choose its Data tab, display 10000 rows then click disconnect. Memory is more or less restored... (this after an initial round to make sure all delayed initializations and allocations has been executed). Doing these steps and repeat it for lets say 20 times only results in a memory leak of a couple of hundred kilobytes. Which is nothing to worry about. The same applies when executing queries in SQL Commander. Notable is that sometimes when we think we've find a real memory leak (forced garbage collects have no effect, memory stay high) and launch our profiling application then it is not repeatable... So the conclusion right now is that this is still on the top issue list and we will dig into it again. Best Regards Roger

Roger, I know from experience how difficult it can be to pin these kinds of things down. I am a fairly experienced systems software guy, is there anything I can do while using DbV to help gather evidence or narrow down the cause? is it likely to be a JDBC issue? I use Mysql connector for Java V5.1.7 I tend not to leave DbV running for days but it might be interesting to do so and see if memory usage tails off on a Mac.

Hi. Did you guys make any progress with this? I often leave multiple dbVis instances running for up to a week, having multiple sql tabs open, but with this issue, have to shut it down and reopen everyhing again. First instance -- dbvis.exe VM_Size=328k First instance -- dbvis.exe VM_Size=326k First instance -- dbvis.exe VM_Size=106k

Alex, No current progress. We will however dig into it soon. Best Regards Roger
[Attachment has been removed.]

Had dbVis opened for 2 days.. When this snapshop was taken, there were no active connections or open result set grids with data..... Please heeeeelp !!!! consumed mem by dbVis: 1.3GB ! Product: DbVisualizer Personal 6.5.11 Build: #1376 (2009/12/05 10:46) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM Java Version: 1.6.0_13 Java Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc. OS Name: Windows XP OS Arch: x86 OS Version: 5.1

Alex, What is the value of the -Dmx setting in the dbvis.vmoptions file? Also when it says 1.3GB in the Activity Monitor, what does the debug window in DbVisualizer say? Regards Roger

I do not see the -Dmx option. This is the contents of my .vmoptions file -Xmx1024m -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false

Alex, Sorry I meant -Xmx. From a Java application perspective we have few parameters to control the overall memory usage for the Java VM process. What we can control and already do in the dbvis.vmoptions file is setting the max available heap for the Java application (DbVisualizer). Whenever this is reached an OutOfMemoryException is displayed in DbVisualizer. What figures are displayed in the monitoring tools in respective OS are of less interest for us since we cannot really comment what are shown since those include all bits and pieces required to run the Java VM process. So for us is the heap our main concern. If the used memory reported in the Tools->Debug Window constantly increase until an OOME is displayed then there is certainly a memory leak in DbVisualizer. How the memory is reported and why it tend to increase even though you are for example re-execute the same query over and over again is due to how the garbage collector in Java is freeing the memory and how often it decides to do so. (You may force GC by clicking the green recycle arrow next to the memory meter). In your specific case what is the reason you have set the -Xmx to 1024m? Is it due to OutOfMemoryExceptions and if so what queries are you running when this happen and how big are the result sets? Best Regards Roger