Start a new topic

DBVisualizer 6.5 Permissions Issue

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I'm using the oracle thin driver with the oracle ojdbc14.zip file and I get a permissions error when I do anything other than read. I have full access on the database. Just to prove the problem out, I reinstalled DBVisualizer 5.1.1 and used the same oracle thin driver with no problems with permissions. The database is Oracle 9I. Any ideas...

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: DBVisualizer 6.5 Permissions Issue
Rick, Can you please include the complete error messages you get or even better, a couple of screenshots? Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

Here's a screen shot. The steps I'm doing are: selecting the table, going to the data tab, double clicking the row I want to update thus bringing up the update screen, make a change, close the update screen, then hitting the save icon to commit the change. Then I get the permissions error, see attached...

Rick, This is strange since the permission error is produced by Oracle. Open Tools->Debug Window and enable "Debug DbVisualizer". Now do the operation again. A lot of debug info will be displayed in the debug window. Post or email it to us. Best Regards Roger support@dbvis.com
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Roger, Attached please find the info you requested. Thanks in advance for your help on this...

Any info on this yet...

Rick, There are a lots of errors reported in the beginning of the debug output. I recommend that you upgrade the JDBC driver and hopefully these errors and the original Permission problem will disappear. Best Regards Roger

I already tried that. Upgraded to Oracle 10G driver and still had the permissions issue. Both 9I and 10G drivers work fine with 5.1.1 but neither work with 6.5 or 6.5.1

Rick, In the error dialog that is displayed, press the green "More Details" button. What does it say? Regards Roger

See attached:

Rick, This still bugs me... Do you get the same permission error when you click the "Indexes" tab for the table? Are there any synonyms with identical name that may interfere? The reason it works in 5.1.1 is that 6.0 introduced a check of any unique indexes in the data edit feature. For some reason it causes the permission problem. Regards Roger

The table we've been looking at doesn't have any indexes on it. Here's a screen print of another table with the same permissions problem that when I click the index tab I get the permissions error on it:

Rick, A couple of observations: 1) The latest screenshot show that you are using the "generic" database profile for Oracle instead of "oracle". The generic profile will limit the Oracle specific support dramatically (even though it wont affect the original editing issue). This may be a result of 3) below. 2) The permission window that is displayed doesn't prevent the edit from being performed it is just an annoying error message. We will fix in the next version so that it isn't displayed. 3) Use the most recent version of the Oracle JDBC driver that supports the version of Oracle DB you are using. Best Regards Roger

Roger, Don't wish to beat a dead horse but: 1) The latest screenshot show that you are using the "generic" database profile for Oracle instead of "oracle". The generic profile will limit the Oracle specific support dramatically (even though it wont affect the original editing issue). This may be a result of 3) below. {color:#ff0000}You are correct, my mistake. Corrected it but still give permissions error. However the first database we discussed the Database Type was set to Oracle.{color} 2) The permission window that is displayed doesn't prevent the edit from being performed it is just an annoying error message. We will fix in the next version so that it isn't displayed. {color:#ff0000}You are correct, you can still edit it, but you can't commit it. That's when you get the permissions error. The update doesn't happen.{color} 3) Use the most recent version of the Oracle JDBC driver that supports the version of Oracle DB you are using. {color:#ff0000}I am using the Driver that's on the server which should represent the DB being used.{color} Best Regards Roger

Rick, > 1) The latest screenshot show that you are using the "generic" database profile for Oracle instead of "oracle". The generic profile will limit the Oracle specific support dramatically (even though it wont affect the original editing issue). This may be a result of 3) below. > {color:#ff0000}You are correct, my mistake. Corrected it but still give permissions error. However the first database we discussed the Database Type was set to Oracle.{color} Correct. Just wanted to notify you about it. > 2) The permission window that is displayed doesn't prevent the edit from being performed it is just an annoying error message. We will fix in the next version so that it isn't displayed. > {color:#ff0000}You are correct, you can still edit it, but you can't commit it. That's when you get the permissions error. The update doesn't happen.{color} The error window that is displayed should not affect the edit. Do you get any more error or message that the save couldn't be performed? What happen if you in the Data tab choose for example "Script: UPDATE TABLE" and then execute the SQL manually in the SQL Commander (after entering substitution values)? Please post or email the compete CREATE TABLE statement including any constraints and indexes. > > 3) Use the most recent version of the Oracle JDBC driver that supports the version of Oracle DB you are using. > {color:#ff0000}I am using the Driver that's on the server which should represent the DB being used.{color} Correct again but it is always a good idea having the newest version of any software. The errors (in the debug window) that are reported when you connect to Oracle with the 9.x driver may be a result of issues in the JDBC driver. Sorry for all trouble and your help. Best Regards Roger