Start a new topic

remote connection to single mysql database not showing tables

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I can connect remotely to a mysql database. I have specified in the connection string the database name. I can successfully "show tables from " in the sql window, but clicking on the "tables" link on the sidebar doesn't work because it is trying to do this: "show tables from `null`". The database name shows up in the "object view" under "database". How do I replace null with the database name in the object tree/sidebar area? Thanks.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: remote connection to single mysql database not showing tables
Hi, What JDBC URL are you specifying, what version of MySQL and the JDBC driver? What version of DbVisualizer? Please send a screenshot of the Connection tab visible while connected. Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

Hello, I'm using the mySql JDBC Driver: MySQL-AB JDBC Driver; mysql-connector-java-5.0.8 ( Revision: ${svn.Revision} ) DBVis version: 6.5.5 Database Product Version: 4.1.12-log Here is my connection string: jdbc:mysql://mysql.netfirms.com:3306/d60508168 (the connection is successful) Attached is a screenshot of the left pane with object tree shown. Thanks. Julie
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

... and a screenshot of the connections tab. Thanks again. Julie

... and a screenshot of the error when clicking on "tables" in left nav bar. Julie

Julie, I suspect there may be an authorization issue preventing you from listing all databases available on the server. What happen if you run the following in the DbVisualizer SQL Commander? show databases If it returns no result then please verify with the DBA whether my assumption is correct. Best Regards Roger

Hi Roger, "show databases" returns no rows. Your assumption was correct -- thanks. I guess I will have to live with using the sql commander to show tables. I appreciate your prompt responses. Cheers, Julie

Many thanks Roger.

Julie, I have attached a patched database profile for MySQL that will let you browse the default database only (as specified in the JDBC URL). Save it as: DBVIS-HOME\resources\profiles\mysql-defaultdb.xml Now start DbVisualizer and goto the Connection tab for the database connection which you don't have privileges to browse non default databases. Before connecting it click the "Profile" link in the status bar, it is "auto" by default. In the list select the "mysql-defaultdb", press Apply and connect. You should now see only the default database in the objects tree. Note: this patched profile will not show any other databases then the one specified as default database. Make sure you are using the standard "mysql" profile when accessing DB servers for which you are granted "show databases" authorization. Let me know the result. Best Regards Roger

Hi, DbVisualizer 7.0.5 has just been released with a permanent fix for this. What you need to do is to add a driver property: SINGLE_DBNAME = Where is the name of the database you are allowed to access. With this property set only will appear in the objects tree. This is especially useful if the MySQL server is configured to not allow listing all databases in the server. Best Regards Roger

I am having exactly the same problem described above however in my case when I use the SQL Commander to "show databases" it does work as expected and lists the databases. I've tried this on a bare bones fresh install of MySQL 5.1 and 5.5 using licensed copies of both DbVisualizer Personal 7.1.3 and 7.1.4. Any advice? ------------------- Edit (10 minutes later): Ok, I guess you can ignore what I wrote above. For whatever reason, deleting that database connection and creating a new one, even using the exact same connection data, caused things to start working as expected. Bizarre, but hey, it works!