Start a new topic

DBVisualizer hangs when accessing File menu

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I just upgraded to DBVisualizer 7.0. OS: Windows XP SP3 Java 1.6.1_13 Whenever I try to do anything with the File menu, the dbvis consistently hangs with the File menu open. I have to kill the process and restart. Opening files or quitting the app work fine as long as I don't do them via the File menu options.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: DBVisualizer hangs when accessing File menu
Hi Ron, Please upgrade to the latest Java version to see if that fixes the problem. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: DBVisualizer hangs when hovering over File > Open Recent
Hi Hans, I have upgraded to the latest Java 1.6: Product: DbVisualizer Personal 7.0 Build: #1482 (2010/01/17 12:38) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM Java Version: 1.6.0_18 Java Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc. OS Name: Windows XP OS Arch: x86 OS Version: 5.1 Today, I noticed that after some time, the File menu will eventually disappear after some time. I also observed that the hang occurs if I hover over the Open Recent submenu. It appears that the hang is occurring when trying to render this menu. If I avoid trying to hover over Open Recent, the hang doesn't happen. How can I clear the recent files?

Hi Ron, Thanks for the additional information. We have identified a potential problem in the Recent File handling that could explain what you see and will take a closer look at it. In the meantime, you can clear the Recent File list if you wait for the submenu to be rendered, and then select the Clear List option at the end of the file. Please let us know whether clearing the list resolves the hanging issue, since that would confirm the suspicion that it is related to the Recent Files handling. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

OK, I waited for the recent file list to render. And then I realized the problem. One of my recent files was on some network drive that I am not currently connected to. Instead of just showing me the file name, the dbvis was trying to access the file while rendering the menu. After clearing the recent list, I don't have this problem anymore. I don't think I had this issue with DBVis 6. Anyway, thanks for your help! Ron

Hi Ron, Thanks for the confirmation. Best Regards, Hans

Ron, I think we've found the problem. A fix will be in the next version. Thanks! Best Regards Roger

Hi, This has now been fixed in the latest 7.0.1 version. http://www.dbvis.com/products/dbvis/doc/relnotes/index.jsp Best Regards Roger