Start a new topic

Calculate Selection Vs. Aggregation Data for Selection?

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Can someone tell me if the new feature in version 7 called "Aggregation Data for Selection" has completely replaced the "Calculate Selection" feature? Calculate Selection would total VARCHAR data types and it appears that he new aggregation function treats them as a string and only provides text count information. The totaling of VARCHAR data types saved me a lot of time of pulling data into EXCEL and totaling there. Thank you for your time! Chris Edited by: Chris on Jan 28, 2010 4:51 PM

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Calculate Selection Vs. Aggregation Data for Selection?
Chris, It is correct that Aggegation Data for Selection has replaced the old Calculate Selection. Can you please clarify what you med with the following? "Calculate Selection would total VARCHAR data types and it appears that he new aggregation function treats them as a string and only provides text count information" The new "Text Count" information shows stats for all text data types in the selection i.e. VARCHAR, CHAR, etc. "Total Length" stat in the old feature displayed the length of all data in the selection including numbers (by their text representation). One problem with the old Calculate Selection feature was that it analyzed the data in each cell trying to figure out the type independent of what actual type it was for the column i.e. a number in a VARCHAR column would be interpreted as a number instead of text. Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Roger, Thank you for your response! I guess what I'm looking for is the ability to still treat VARCHAR data as numeric so quick totals can be provided without changing the data type or pulling the data into EXCEL. We deal with files that are not always created locally and often are trying to do analysis on the fly. It sounds like the previous functionally was a 'happy accident'. Best regards! Chris

Chris, So if I understand correct, you want statistics for all numbers even for those stored in char data types? Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Roger, I believe that i what I'm asking for. Because "Calculate Selection" treated VARCHAR/CAHR data as numeric it would return totaling information for the data selected. We found this useful. With the new functionality of "Aggregation Data for Selection" we've lost the ability to do quick totaling on numeric data defined as VARCHAR/CHAR type. Thank you for you time! Chris

Chris, Thanks for the clarification. For numeric data in VARCHAR/CHAR fields, are you interested only to see the total or some more data (min, max, avg)? Regards Roger

Roger, I'm only after the total. Thank you! Chris

Chris, Thanks! I'll add this as a feature request. Best Regards Roger

Chris, This is now fixed in the 7.1 version. Regards Roger