Start a new topic

v7.01 hangs, unpredictable pattern...

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi. Since 7.0, my dbvis, sometimes stops responding when executing simple sql statements via Sybase ASE (jTDS) driver ( v6) Unfortunately, I cannot figure out the pattern.... may have something to do with having multiple instances open on my pc.... never had this issue wth 6.#..... have to go to task manager to kill dbvis's pid ... any thought? can you pls look into this asap... thanks... Product: DbVisualizer Personal 7.0.1 Build: #1487 (2010/01/28 22:33) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM Java Version: 1.6.0_13 Java Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc. OS Name: Windows XP OS Arch: x86 OS Version: 5.1

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: v7.01 hangs, unpredictable pattern...
Alex, This bug was unfortunately introduced in 7.0.1. Expect a fix in a few hours. Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Now THATS what I call support! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Roger !!

Hi, This is now fixed in 7.0.2. Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Roger, Unfortunately, the problem persists... I see the CPU usage fluctuate in the task manager between 2% and 3%, with 290K of consumed vm memory.. but the app is locked up and not responsive..

Hi Alex, Is it possible that the connection to the database has dropped (or become unresponsive) when this happens? In 7.0 (including 7.0.2), a couple of database calls are made when you click the Execute button in the SQL Commander. If the database does not respond, the GUI will be locked until the calls time out. You can change the time-out value in Tool Properties, in the Database Connection category. If you believe this can be the problem, please try with a lower value (e.g. 20 seconds) and see if that improves the situation. In the next maintenance release, we have made changes so that the GUI will not be locked in this situation. Best Regards, Hans

Roger, The Execution Timeout Value was set to 60 seconds. The app was locked way beyond that value. When I launched another instance of dbVis with the same sql statement, it completed in 3 seconds. All I know at this point, that this issue is introduced with 7+ ver ... And as I said, I cant seem to be able to even notice the pattern when this happens....

Hi Alex, In the specific case I described, there are two database calls that need to time out, so with a value of 60 seconds, it will be locked for 120 seconds. That can feel like an eternity when you're waiting. Did you try with a lower value as I suggested? The fact that it runs fine in another instance is interesting, but the connection from the old instance to the database may still have problems even though the newly created connection from the new instance works fine. For instance, the database (or something between the client and the server, like a VPN) may be configured to drop connection after some time of inactivity. Best Regards, Hans

Roger, I will set it to a lower value and see if it happens again. However, I killed the pid after about 20 minutes, hoping for it to come back... With ver<7 I was leaving dbDis running for days. No connections were dropped. Our SybaseASE are not configured that way (unless the dataserver is recycled) ....

Hi Alex, Great, please let us know how it goes and if you see a pattern that can help us figure out what's going on. Best Regards, Hans
[Attachment has been removed.]

Roger, Here: Needed to open another instance of dbVis. Opened it, made a connection to the dB, pasted the SQL into the sql commander window and quickly hit F9 which is bound to the Execute command.... Its been hanging like this for 10min now ... The TO value is set to 20 sec, like you recommended.. screenshot attached.

Hi Alex, Thanks for the information. From the screenshot, it seems like what you mean with "hangs" is that the SQL Commander never finishes the execution, but the GUI is not frozen. For instance, you can create a new SQL Commander tab and run another statement in that tab while the first tab is still busy. Am I understanding this correctly? You also mention that you start another instance of DbVisualizer. With 7.0, you can instead use File -> New Window if you need a new main window. If you use that approach instead, does that solve the problem. In the screenshot, it is stuck on getting a new connection to the database (by default, the tree uses one connection and each SQL Commander tab uses a separate connection, established the first time you execute a statement in the tab). Could the problem be that the database enforces a limit on the number of connections that can be opened at the same time? For some databases, the number of simultaneous connections is limited by the database server license. Best Regards, Hans

Hi No. The GUI is frozen completely, not responsive to any mouse or keyboard events... The limit of simultaneous connection is by far greater than the number of connections on the dataserver that was present at the time. And as I keep mentioning, when I start a new ver of the dbVis +(after killing the frozen instance)+ and execute the same sql , it completes and returns. Just as a thought, even if it was hanging trying to obtain a connection and was refused, it probably would come back saying that connection cannot be established, or simply time out? May be you can check what exactly was changed between 6.# and 7.# (in the sql commander and related components) to help narrow down culprit origins. I will reboot my pc and will give it a try again.... Is there someting that I can lookup in the logs? Also, is there a difference if I start a new instance via File-> New Window, or by just launching another dbvis.exe process? thanks.

Hi Alex, Thanks for your continued help with this. I have finally managed to reproduce the problem when I use multiple instances of DbVisualizer, but I have not found what causes it. Using File -> New Window instead of starting a completely new instance seems to solve the problem, however. Please try this to confirm my findings. The difference between launching a new instance and using File -> New Window is that with the latter, there is just one process that handles both windows. This requires far less OS resources (memory, threads, etc.). Best Regards, Hans --- Hans Bergsten DbVisualizer Team DbVis Software AB

Hans, The reason why I was launching a completely new dbVis instance is because I wanted to separate PROD and DEV instances. File->New window transfers all open connections to the new window, and, by the same token, any new dB connections opened in the new window are reflected in the old window.... I am glad that you were able to replicate the issue... Please keep me posted if the culprit is identified and when the solution will be available --- thank you.