Start a new topic

Oracle Object Type code compiles successfully even when containing errors

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

DBVisualizer 7.0.1: When I'm compiling PL/SQL code for an Oracle Object type which contains errors, DBVisualizer always returns with success and no error message. But a check after that in the Invalid Objects shows up the just added object type. Furthermore if recompiling Invalid Objects from the "Invalid-Objects"-generated statements, everything seems to run fine, even if in the background there were failures. Is there any possibility I've not found out yet to determine, what was the problem compiling the object type, or generally, what's the problem with invalid objects if they are still invalid after an bq. ALTER ..... COMPILE run?

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Oracle Object Type code compiles successfully even when containing erro
Hi, I agree that this can be confusing when using the SQL Commander to compile stored procedures, because the ALTER COMPILE statement itself returns success, and that is all that is shown in the SQL Commander log. I recommend that you instead use the Procedure Editor to work with procedure code. In addition to saving and compiling the procedure, it also gets possible error messages from Oracle specific system tables and displays them, including lien numbers for the code that caused the errors. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Is there an easier way to get to the procedure editor than having to create a dummy procedure and open it in the procedure editor to be able to issue these ALTER-statements? Maybe there is a possibility to check the Oracle-internal error-structures not only in the proc-editor but also on occurrence of certain keywords (like ALTER)?
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi, > Is there an easier way to get to the procedure editor than having to create a dummy procedure and open it in the procedure editor to be able to issue these ALTER-statements? Yes, you can create the procedure with a signature and a dummy body using the Create Procedure action, available in the right-click menu when you select the Procedures node in the object tree. > Maybe there is a possibility to check the Oracle-internal error-structures not only in the proc-editor but also on occurrence of certain keywords (like ALTER)? Thanks. I'll add that suggestion to things we will consider for future versions. Best Regards, Hans --- Hans Bergsten DbVisualizer Team DbVis Software AB