Start a new topic

monitor - previous values

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Hans, Roger, I am creating a new monitor and I think I make some obvious error for which I seem to be a bit blind: select sysdate, host_name, gb_written, gb_written - $$gb_written$$ delta , $$gb_written$$ previous from ( select round(sum(bytes_written)/1024/1024/1024) gb_written from V$ASM_DISK_IOSTAT ) , v$instance AFAIK, this should give a delta column, with as value gb_written minus the previous value of gb_written, referred to as $$gb_written$$. Can you open my eyes? thanks, Ronald.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: monitor - previous values
Hi Ronald, With "monitor" do you mean this is going to run in the DbVisualizer "Monitor" feature? If that is the intention then variables are not supported in Monitor window. If it is another problem please tell what is going wrong and what you except should happen. As far as I can see the use of variables when executing it in the SQL Commander looks good. Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Roger, see pages 130, 131 of the manual about the rowcount example. This used to work in

Ronald, What error do you get when you run it? Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I don't get an error, I only keep getting (NULL) for the delta and previous values. R.
[Attachment has been removed.]

Ronald, I tried by simplifying your SQL (I use the default variable identifiers ${...}$ but that shouldn't affect the result): SELECT DEPARTMENTS.DEPARTMENT_ID, DEPARTMENTS.DEPARTMENT_NAME, salary, salary - ${salary}$ delta, ${salary}$ previous FROM ( SELECT salary FROM HR.EMPLOYEES ) , HR.DEPARTMENTS; Attached is a screenshot with the result. Regards Roger

I see, in the sqlcommander grid it works. It used to work in the montoring grid. Is that functionality removed from the monitoring grid? The example on page 130, 131 suggests that it should work. In that case I obviously made some kind of an error ..... R.

Ronald, Does the query return a single row on each execution? That is the basic requirement for re-using data from previous executions. If it does then you should be able to refer the previous round by column name. Best Regards Roger

Roger, back again ... see and try it out. create table computers (z varchar2(1)); sql in sqlcommander SELECT '${DbVis-Date}$ ${DbVis-Time}$' AS PollTime, sysdate, COUNT(*) AS RowCount, COUNT(*) - ${RowCount||COUNT(*)}$ AS RowCountChange FROM Computers; result: 16:08:22 [DEBUG pool-1-thread-23 B.?] DefaultEditor-0: T4CStatement.execute("SELECT '${DbVis-Date}$ ${DbVis-Time}$' AS PollTime, sysdate, COUNT(*) AS RowCount, COUNT(*) - ${RowCount||COUNT(*)}$ AS RowCountChange FROM Computers") 16:08:22 [DEBUG pool-1-thread-23 B.?] DefaultEditor-0: EXCEPTION -> java.lang.NullPointerException: null java.lang.NullPointerException at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4C8Oall.getNumRows(T4C8Oall.java:876) at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CStatement.executeForDescribe(T4CStatement.java:825) at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.executeMaybeDescribe(OracleStatement.java:1049) at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CStatement.executeMaybeDescribe(T4CStatement.java:845) at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.doExecuteWithTimeout(OracleStatement.java:1154) at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.executeInternal(OracleStatement.java:1726) at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.execute(OracleStatement.java:1696) at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor49.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597) at com.onseven.dbvis.a.B.B.?(Z:1522) at com.onseven.dbvis.a.B.F$A.call(Z:2838) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:637) run this loop in sqlcommander --/ begin for i in 1..100 loop insert into computers value ('z'); commit; dbms_lock.sleep(3); end loop; end; / and run the same query but now as a monitor: SELECT '${DbVis-Date}$ ${DbVis-Time}$' AS PollTime, sysdate, COUNT(*) AS RowCount, COUNT(*) - ${RowCount||COUNT(*)}$ AS RowCountChange FROM Computers; result in the debuglog: 16:09:45 [DEBUG pool-1-thread-19 B.?] RootConnection: T4CStatement.execute("select '${DbVis-Date}$ ${DbVis-Time}$' as PollTime, count(*) as RowCount, count(*) - ${RowCount||count(*)}$ as RowCountChange from Computers") 16:09:45 [DEBUG pool-1-thread-19 B.?] RootConnection: EXCEPTION -> java.lang.NullPointerException: null java.lang.NullPointerException at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4C8Oall.getNumRows(T4C8Oall.java:876) at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CStatement.executeForDescribe(T4CStatement.java:825) at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.executeMaybeDescribe(OracleStatement.java:1049) at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CStatement.executeMaybeDescribe(T4CStatement.java:845) at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.doExecuteWithTimeout(OracleStatement.java:1154) at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.executeInternal(OracleStatement.java:1726) at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.execute(OracleStatement.java:1696) at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor49.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597) at com.onseven.dbvis.a.B.B.?(Z:1522) at com.onseven.dbvis.a.B.F$A.call(Z:2838) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:637) I still think there is a little problem ... When I comment out the variables the query works, in sqlcommander. best regards, Ronald.

Hi Ronald, It seems like you do not have "${" and "$}" defined as the variable delimiters in Tool Properties, the SQL Editor/Variables category. You need to either change the settings or the variable references in the SQL statements to match your settings. Best Regards, Hans

Thanks Hans, yes, you are right, I still used the old defaults $$ and $$ to enclose the variables. I fixed that and this took away the java errors. Still I think it is not working as advertised. select '${DbVis-Date}$ ${DbVis-Time}$' as PollTime, count(*) as RowCount, count(*) - ${RowCount||count(*)}$ as RowCountChange, ${RowCount}$ as previous from Computers in a monitor, this should show the PollTime, current RowCount, The RowCountChange and the previous rowcount. The references to the previous value is not working. It's been a while since I last used it but I am pretty sure that the example on used to work. Currently it does not work. Can that be fixed or is it removed on purpose or do I - again - make an error? regards, Ronald.

Hi Ronald, Yeah, something's not right here. We will look into it. Thanks for reporting it. Best Regards, Hans

Hi Ronald, The problem has been identified and a fix will be included in the next version. Best Regards Roger

Ronald, This is now fixed in the 7.0.5 version. Regards Roger