Start a new topic

dbVis initializes for over a minute

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hello. After i changed my vmoptions file as suggested in the below link, it takes about a minute for the dbVis to start. http://www.dbvis.com/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=2790&tstart=125 ( -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false ) It has been like this for a long time now (since Oct 2009), but i just now decided to let you know. ;) From the Debug Window: --------------------------- Debug Printouts -------------------------- 08:06:56 [DEBUG AWT-EventQueue-1 DbVisualizerGUI.?] *Init Seconds: 63.529* splash display: 2.500 window display: 61.483 ------------------------- Product Information ------------------------ Product: DbVisualizer Personal 7.0.5 Build: #1497 (2010/03/15 17:28) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM Java Version: 1.6.0_13 Java Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc. OS Name: Windows XP OS Arch: x86 OS Version: 5.1 ------------------------- Connected Databases ------------------------

[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: dbVis initializes for over a minute
Ok. Thanks Roger. Please let us know if you find anything with respect to improving access time for remote files. So, at this point, I am pointing my -prefsdir to local HD, with -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false and my startup time is 32sec
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Roger, Any improvement here in the EAP version?
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi Alex, There are no explicit improvements regarding file access in the EA. Regards Roger

Ok. Guess we're stuck with a 32 second startup time.. disappointing ;(

Alex, I am looking into the startup delay you have reported. What is the time to start DbVisualizer if you run with your normal configuration? What is the time if you start DbVisualizer with a clean configuration using the -prefsdir command line argument? Best Regards Roger

Roger, It has gotten a lot better since I pointed the prefsdir to my local C drive .. But still takes over 14 sec With this config in my .vmoptions: -Xmx1024m -Ddbvis.prefsdir=C:\DEV_APPS_SETTINGS\dbvis -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false --------------------------- Debug Printouts -------------------------- 08:07:02 [DEBUG AWT-EventQueue-1 DbVisualizerGUI.?] Init Seconds: 31.516 splash display: 2.000 window display: 29.344 With (THIS IS MY CURRENT CONFIGURATION) -Xmx1024m -Ddbvis.prefsdir=C:\DEV_APPS_SETTINGS\dbvis --------------------------- Debug Printouts -------------------------- 08:27:56 [DEBUG AWT-EventQueue-1 DbVisualizerGUI.?] Init Seconds: 12.735 splash display: 2.188 window display: 10.719 With (prefsdir pointing to an empty dir) -Xmx1024m -Ddbvis.prefsdir=C:\dbvis_test -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false --------------------------- Debug Printouts -------------------------- 08:32:24 [DEBUG AWT-EventQueue-1 DbVisualizerGUI.?] Init Seconds: 32.407 splash display: 1.141 window display: 29.954 With -Xmx1024m -Ddbvis.prefsdir=C:\dbvis_test --------------------------- Debug Printouts -------------------------- 08:33:06 [DEBUG AWT-EventQueue-1 DbVisualizerGUI.?] Init Seconds: 14.125 splash display: 1.344 window display: 11.672

Thanks Alex. We will do some improvements in the next feature version regarding file access. I suspect however that the improvement will be low since file access with an empty prefsdir compared to the regular prefsdir is just a few seconds in your tests. The big time eater seem to be java2d.3d property which we have no way to address. We have to wait for an improved JVM to fix this. The 12.735 init time seem to be fastest your environment is able to launch DbVisualizer. For me it takes approx 9 secs running the same test. This can probably be explained due to differences in hardware and system resources. Best Regards Roger