Start a new topic

dbVis initializes for over a minute

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hello. After i changed my vmoptions file as suggested in the below link, it takes about a minute for the dbVis to start. http://www.dbvis.com/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=2790&tstart=125 ( -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false ) It has been like this for a long time now (since Oct 2009), but i just now decided to let you know. ;) From the Debug Window: --------------------------- Debug Printouts -------------------------- 08:06:56 [DEBUG AWT-EventQueue-1 DbVisualizerGUI.?] *Init Seconds: 63.529* splash display: 2.500 window display: 61.483 ------------------------- Product Information ------------------------ Product: DbVisualizer Personal 7.0.5 Build: #1497 (2010/03/15 17:28) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM Java Version: 1.6.0_13 Java Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc. OS Name: Windows XP OS Arch: x86 OS Version: 5.1 ------------------------- Connected Databases ------------------------

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: dbVis initializes for over a minute
Hi Alex, Just tried with the -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false running 7.0.5 on Windows 7 and it starts without any noticeable delay. Do you experience improvement if removing it? Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Roger, We are running on WinXP. Removed the -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false from the .vmoptions file. dbVis started in 44seconds --------------------------- Debug Printouts -------------------------- 07:24:34 [DEBUG AWT-EventQueue-1 DbVisualizerGUI.?] Init Seconds: 46.813 splash display: 2.953 window display: 44.688

Hi Alex, 44... is a lot of seconds. I have 5 monitors, over hundreds of bookmark scripts, 300 history files and 40 connections. It take less than 5 seconds on a relatively new desktop. How does your figures compare to the above? A simple test is to launch DbVisualizer with the prefsdir parameter. It instructs DbVisualizer to create a new user settings directory. dbvis.exe -prefsdir tmpdbvisdir Now what is the startup time? Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Roger, I have 3 mon, 1000 Hitory entries and 30 bookmarked Connections (not open at the same time). Running on a dual IntelXeonCPU @2Ghz with 4Gb of ram (available 1.5 at the time i ran dbVis) The +-prefsdir tmpdbvisdir+ brough down the startup time to 14 seconds --- which I would be very comfortable with ;) What else can we test ? Could it be the Look & Feel settings? ( I have Metal) ----- Debug Printouts ----- 08:17:23 [http://DEBUG AWT-EventQueue-1 DbVisualizerGUI.?|http://debug%20awt-eventqueue-1%20dbvisualizergui./?] Init Seconds: 14.234 splash display: 1.656 window display: 11.406

Also, If it helps, my dbvis.xml and History files are pointing to the Network drive. Also, I timed how long it takes for the SQL History window to come up *initially* -- ~10 seconds

Alex, Just to verify if this is related to the networked HD. Try a test by zipping all of your files in the .dbvis directory i.e. C:\Documents and Settings\\.dbvis Then unzip on a locally attached HD. Then start DbVis by pointing the -prefsdir argument to the local .dbvis directory. Regards Roger

Roger, I was afraid of that.... Zipped all my current settings off the net drive, unzipped to c:\test\dbvis, launched dbvis -prefsdir c:\test\dbvis --- took ~14 sec Any ideas? (Except "Keep your settings on your local drive" ;) ? --------------------------- Debug Printouts -------------------------- 07:36:20 [DEBUG AWT-EventQueue-1 DbVisualizerGUI.?] Init Seconds: 13.562 splash display: 2.297 window display: 11.828

Also, I had to put back the -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false since I had to remote in yesterday night, and, when I came in today back to the office --- the dbVis was blown up with the same java exception errors forcing me to shut down the dbVis tasks ....

....OK .. Here is more: so i put back the -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false and now, when i point to -prefsdir c:\dev_apps_settings\dbvis ---- the launch time jumped to 33 seconds.... take it out, back to 13, put it back, back to 33....

Alex, I am afraid that both the remote issue and the slower performance accessing the network drive is out of our control as these are Java related. The remote thing is definitely something we need to wait for an improved JVM. For remote file access I will check whether we can improve our logic accessing them. Best Regards Roger

Roger, Why does -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false slow down performance even when having dbVis prefs dir on local HD ?

Alex, The -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false property is used to turn off the use of Direct3D in Java on Windows platforms. Here is the full list of properties used to control the 2D graphics in Java: http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/2d/flags.html It may be a good idea trying some of the others to see if the remote desktop problem is eliminated and keeping decent performance. Best Regards Roger

I guess what I meant to say was how does turning this option OFF directly affects the dbVis' startup time

Alex, I cannot tell for sure since it is related to Java internals but I assume turning it off also disables the graphics acceleration resulting in decreased performance. Regards Roger