Start a new topic

Edit the ERD diagram?

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

How can I edit the ERD diagram that is generated by DbVisualizer? My use case is that I have a database with no foreign keys (integrity handled by my rails app) but I want to show relationships when I export the ERD. So I want the ability to add relationships just to the ERD, not the actual database.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Edit the ERD diagram?
Hi, Thanks for your post. The references graph is only capable of analyzing primary/foreign keys. We have on the future list to add a lightweight mapping. Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

How far in the future are you planning to add these features? Six months...a year...longer? You mentioned "lightweight mapping". What about creating an ERD for a new database? Thanks

Hi, We are not planning any changes in this area for the two next feature versions (one is planned in June and the other in early fall). Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Any update on this that you can share. It's a great tool that would readily replace many development tools, but ERD editing is a must for any new dev tool in our environment. I'm not trying to push, I'm just curious when I can justify the purchase to our staff. Thanks.

Gabe, There are no major changes in this are in the next feature version which is planned in Q1 2011. The feature version after that one will most likely focus on the references graph and ERD in general. Best Regards Roger

In the meantime, you can save the diagram of all unreferenced tables as a GML file, and use yEd to edit it: http://www.yworks.com/en/products_yed_about.html

GML is not one of the choices that appears when I choose to export. My choices are JPG, GIF, PNG, SVG and PDF. I'm using DbVis Personal 7.1.4.

Hi, Please use File->Save As in the main menu bar or "Save As" in the graph right-click menu. Regards Roger

Thanks...