Start a new topic

Autocomplete field list not working for non-current database

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

There seems to be a problem in the ctrl-space object name autocompletion when using fully-qualified database names. When you reference a table in the current database you can see the field list whether or not you reference it using the fully-qualified databasename.schemaname.objectname syntax However, referencing another database on the same server using the fully-qualified databasename.schemaname.objectname syntax fails to show the field list unless you also remember to change the current database in the dropdown list. I do a number of cross-database queries so have to change the current database multiple times when developing if I want to use autocomplete and then need to remember to set it back to the one I want before execution. It would be good if the autocomplete could pick out the database from the 3-part naming syntax and show the autocomplete field list for tables correctly. Even better enhancements would be to recognise the 4-part naming syntax for linked servers and to look upwards for the last USE statement in the SQL if the database is not explicitly stated. I've attached some screenshots for clarification. In each of these screenshots I've just pressed ctrl-space to open the autocomplete list. The screenshots all use the following test databases and tables: bq. CREATE DATABASE tstdb1 \\ GO \\ USE tstdb1 \\ GO \\ CREATE TABLE db1tbl1 ( \\ id TINYINT NOT NULL IDENTITY PRIMARY KEY \\ , data CHAR(10) \\ ) \\ GO \\ CREATE DATABASE tstdb2 \\ GO \\ USE tstdb2 \\ GO \\ CREATE TABLE db2tbl1 ( \\ id TINYINT NOT NULL IDENTITY PRIMARY KEY \\ , data CHAR(10) \\ ) \\ GO I'm using SQL Server 2008 via the jTDS driver.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Autocomplete field list not working for non-current database
Hi Vince, Thanks for the detailed post. We will check into this. Best Regards Roger Edited by: Roger Bjarevall on 2010-dec-10 10:46. Sorry, "Martin" should be "Vince"
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thanks for looking into it. Let me know if you need more information. Regards, Vince
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Confirmed still broken in EAP 720.1638.

Hi, Thanks for reporting this. A fix has been implemented and will be included in the next EA, to be released shortly. Best Regards, Hans

Hi, This is now fixed in the DbVisualizer 720.1640 EA version. Regards Roger

Hi Roger, Thanks - I can confirm the bug I reported is now resolved. I have just noticed the field list still doesn't show if the alias points to a linked server (using the server.database.schema.table syntax) but that's a far less common activity so less of an issue.

Hi, Just to inform that this is now fixed in the latest DbVisualizer 8.0 version. Regards Roger