Start a new topic

Why for postgres 'explain plan' button is disabled?

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

For Oracle it is enabled, but for Postgres disabled. What should I do to disable it?

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Why for postgres 'explain plan' button is disabled?
Hi, Explain Plan is currently supported only for Oracle, SQL Server and DB2. I will add your vote for adding PostgreSQL to the list. Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

>I will add your vote for adding PostgreSQL to the list. I too would like to see this feature. IMO the DbVIs explain is superior to the format in SQL Server's SSMS, and would like the same for PostgreSQL.

Hi, Visual explain plan for PostgreSQL 9 and later is now available in the latest beta version of the upcoming DbVisualizer 9.0: http://www.dbvis.com/download/beta/ Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Can this feature be enabled for PG version 8 either via profile modification or just disabling the check? I have a lot of production version 8 databases and also version 8 MPP derivatives (Greenplum and Xtreme). I really only care about the tree view (e.g. a collapsable version of what PG already spits out)

Shaun, Explain Plan support for PostgreSQL version 9+ is introduced in the upcoming DbVisualizer 9 version. In old DbVisualizer versions you will need to run explain manually by prefixing the SQL with "explain SELECT ..." in the SQL Commander. DbVisualizer use an explain plan format introduced in PostgreSQL 9, that is the reason we're only supporting this version and later. Regards Roger Edited by: Roger Bjarevall on 2012-nov-15 15:26

Hi Shaun, Just wanted to tell you that the 9.0 version is now released, with support for Explain Plan for PostgreSQL 9+: http://www.dbvis.com/doc/relnotes/?version=9.0 Best Regards, Hans