Start a new topic

Setting displayed null value to empty string - sql errors?

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi, I wasn't sure if I'm dealing with a problem or a feature request here. Is it possible to seperate out the displayed 'null' value from the data manipulation value? In 'Tool Properties -> Data Formats - Null String' one can set how a null string is displayed. However, this also says it is how it will be used in 'data manipulation statements'. Some of our users like an empty string to represent the null value, especially as they do a lot of exports to excel and want to miss out the search and replace step of "(null)' for empty string. However, as soon as the null value is set to an empty string they can not do any direct editing of table values in the sql editor as the sql appears to be bad. For instance, on a table called 'address' trying to update field 'address1' the save results window for DML: UPDATE says "MESSAGE: java.sql.SQLException: The specified table (nullnulladdress) is not in the database. SQL: update nullnulladdress set address1 = null where name_id = 12345" or debug window shows: "DefaultEditor-16: IfxSqliConnect.prepareStatement("update nullnulladdress set address1 = ? where name_id = ?")" When the Null string is set to '(null)' an update statement generates the following (as seen by debug window): DefaultEditor-16: IfxSqliConnect.prepareStatement("update address set address1 = ? where name_id = ?") So is the above a problem or expected behaviour? If expected, can I place a feature request for the data manipulation null value to be able to be set independently of the displayed value? Product: DbVisualizer Personal 7.1.3 Build: #1580 (2010/09/10 08:53) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM Java Version: 1.6.0_21 Java Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc. OS Name: Windows 7 OS Arch: amd64 OS Version: 6.1 Informix Dynamic Server 11.50.TC3 IBM Informix JDBC Driver for IBM Informix Dynamic Server 3.50.JC6W1 Regards, Bryce Stenberg IT Department Harness Racing New Zealand Inc.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Setting displayed null value to empty string - sql errors?
Hi Bryce, The Null Format specifies both the visual appearance and the string used when editing and setting a field to null. Currently it cannot be set to an empty string as it break features as you have experienced. We have an open report for this and I will add your vote for it. Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thanks Roger, I'll wait for it in a later version. Cheers, Bryce.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Bryce, This is now fixed in the 9.1.3 version. http://www.dbvis.com/download/ Regards Roger