Start a new topic

How to get Oracle XMLType to display properly

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

I'm having a situation similar to the user in this post (http://www.dbvis.com/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=3339&tstart=0). If I use getClobVal on the XMLType column, I get the correct data from my XMLType column. Otherwise, using a straight SELECT or viewing table data from within DbVis, I get part of the XML string, but it has high ASCII characters embedded throughout. See attached picture. Any suggestions?

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: How to get Oracle XMLType to display properly
Sammy, What version of Oracle and the JDBC driver are you using? Seems as if there is an charset problem resulting in the text appearing scrambled. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

*Database:* Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.2.0 - 64bit Production *Driver:* 11.1.0.7.0-Production Using the 11.2.0.2.0 driver produced worse results, only showing the vague "opaque" return for the column. See reference in this post http://www.dbvis.com/forum/thread.jspa?messageID=9752☘. Edited by: Sammy on Mar 18, 2011 9:55 AM

Sammy, Our recommendation for proper processing of XML data in DbVisualizer has been to load the XDK classes in the DbVisualizer Driver Manager. Read more here: http://www.dbvis.com/products/dbvis/doc/supports.jsp?db=Oracle#Oracle Just recently we got information that XML support should be part of the latest JDBC driver versions from Oracle. We haven't yet verified this ourselves but your last response indicate that it may still not be the case. I suggest you try loading the XDK jars as explained in the web page above and see if it fixes the opaque problem. Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I am currently running with the XDK jar files. I am not having the "opaque" problem, just one that may be related to it. I mentioned the later drivers causing or re-introducing the "opaque" problem, but I'm running on the 11.1.0.7.0 drivers. Please see the attached image for my exact problem. It looks like it's just not handling the tags properly. The basic query looks fine, but it's scrambling the xml version information and removing my opening and closing tags. Again, getClobVal works fine, but viewing table data or a straight select causes it to not show correctly. Thanks, Sammy

Hi Roger, I've tried also with the latest version of jdbc driver and xdk but I still can't visualize XMLType from DBVisualizer 7.1.5. I still don't understand why because I use the same jars as Oracle SQL Developer 3.0... and Oracle SQL Developer is able to visualize XMLType without any issue. Thanks in advance for your assistance. Best regards, Bertrand

Hi Roger, Any progress or thoughts on this issue?

Hi Sammy, I have it on my desk and will dig into during the coming week. Best Regards Roger

Sammy, Really sorry for the delayed response... What XDK version are you using? If it is not the one bundled with the Oracle DB, then please give it a try. Regards Roger

Bertrand, What versions of the Oracle RDBMS, JDBC driver and the XDK kit are you using? Are you using the XDK and JDBC drivers that are bundled with the Oracle RDBMS? Regards Roger
[Attachment has been removed.]

Hi Roger, What versions of the Oracle RDBMS, JDBC driver and the XDK kit are you using? Oracle RDBMS: 9.2.0.7.0 JDBC Driver: 11.2.0.2.0 XDK: 11.2.0.2.0 Are you using the XDK and JDBC drivers that are bundled with the Oracle RDBMS? Yes (from Oracle RDBMS 11.2.0.2.0)... and setup within DBVisualizer 7.1.5... but XMLType's are displayed as oracle.sql.OPAQUE instead of XML String (see attachment dbvizualizer.jpg). As far as I know, same versions are embedded within Oracle SQL Developer 3.0.04.b34... and XMLType's are displayed as XML String's as expected (see attachment oracle_sql_developer.jpg). Regards, Bertrand

I will try also to test with the following configuration next week... Oracle RDBMS: 11.2.0.2.0 JDBC Driver: 11.2.0.2.0 XDK: 11.2.0.2.0 instead of Oracle RDBMS: 9.2.0.7.0 JDBC Driver: 11.2.0.2.0 XDK: 11.2.0.2.0

Hi Roger, I've just tested with the following configuration... Oracle RDBMS: 11.2.0.1.0 JDBC Driver: 11.2.0.2.0 XDK: 11.2.0.2.0 Unfortunately I have the same issue... XMLTYPE are rendered as OPAQUE within DBVisualizer and rendered as XML String within Oracle SQL Developer. Happy debugging ;-) Bertrand

Bertrand, Oracle seem to have adopted the new XML support that is included in Java 1.6 starting with version 11.2 of their JDBC driver. In order for DbVisualizer to handle this change we need to adjust our code base accordingly. This fix will be in the next maintenance version and in the early access version (for the next feature version) which will be released later today at http://www.dbvis.com/products/dbvis/eap/ A workaround is to use a driver version older than 11.2 and also make sure the xdb.jar and xmlparserv2.jar files are loaded in the DbVisualizer Driver Manager. Regards Roger

Roger, I downloaded the early access version, and things work fine for me using the 11.1.0.7.0 driver only. If I use the 11.2.0.2.0 driver, I just get OPAQUE. So, I'm working now, but it would be nice to be able to use the most current driver. Thanks, Sammy