Start a new topic

Magic space bug

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi, version 8.0 (build 1689) has the magic space bug again, which was reported and fixed in earlier EAP versions such as 1680. For example, type: select Pressing a few more times will flip the cursor between select and a new magic space behind the last character. Regards, Freewater

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Magic space bug
Hi, I cannot reproduce the "magic space" problem from the EA with 8.0 (on Windows XP or Mac OS X), but maybe what you see is a slight change in behavior for the End button (Insertion Point to End of Line) in 8.0. If you press it once, the caret moves to after the last non-blank character on the line, but if you press it again it moves to after the real last character on the line, even if it is a blank. Can it be that there is a space character after "select" when you have seen this? Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Hans, first, you are right, I was confused by the end key flipping. 1. What's the reason for the new key behaviour? I find it very confusing and would opt for a "classic" mode. I find it especially annoying that now I sometimes need to press the key *two times* , to get to the "real" end of the line. I can't delete a whole line anymore by pressing , as I can in every other editor, because spaces after the last character remain undeleted in DBVis. 2. I also noticed that the editor eats spaces when dividing a line, but that's probably by design, such as in: ab Now the space is gone. But when typing: ab The space remains behind the "a" on line 1. Actually, that's not a big problem. But generally, trailing spaces should be more transparent to the user for more efficient work. For example a) show spaces as special characters (e.g. dots) b) line selections should only extend to the end of the line and not the end of the window Regards, Freewater

Hi, > 1. What's the reason for the new key behaviour? I find it very confusing and would opt for a "classic" mode. I find it especially annoying that now I sometimes need to press the key *two times* , to get to the "real" end of the line. I can't delete a whole line anymore by pressing , as I can in every other editor, because spaces after the last character remain undeleted in DBVis. As you know, we have a completely new editor in 8.0 and it comes with a number of built-in functions, where this is one of them. We didn't see the new behavior as a problem, even though it was slightly different compared to 7.1.5. We will, however, change Insertion Point to End of Line to the old behavior and keep the current behavior for a new shortcut named Insertion Point to End of Text on Line, to be consistent with the shortcuts that exist for Beginning of Line. This will be fixed along with other editor fixes in a maintenance release soon, but not in the next maintenance release (scheduled for this week). > 2. I also noticed that the editor eats spaces when dividing a line, but that's probably by design, such as in: > ab > > Now the space is gone. But when typing: > ab > > The space remains behind the "a" on line 1. Actually, that's not a big problem. The new editor automatically indents a new line to the same level as the previous line. The behavior you describe is an effect of that. > But generally, trailing spaces should be more transparent to the user for more efficient work. For example > a) show spaces as special characters (e.g. dots) > b) line selections should only extend to the end of the line and not the end of the window We have opened a ticket for these two suggestions already. Best Regards, Hans

Hi, The "Insertion Point to End of Line" is now fixed in the just released 8.0.2 version. Regards Roger