Start a new topic

SQL Editor -- slow key response when typing

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi. Typing in the new editor seems slow, you can see and feel the delay as characters get slowly displayed. This most becomes frustrating when I use Backspace to delete a bunch of chars on a line... Also, just to test, i pressed and held a key. As keystrokes were shown in the editor, the Task Manager was displaying a 24% CPU utillization for the dbvis PID There is no configuration for 'keystroke' delay, is there? Anyone else seeing this? Product: DbVisualizer Personal 8.0 Build: #1689 (2011/06/16 12:10) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM Java Version: 1.6.0_24 Java Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc. OS Name: Windows XP OS Arch: x86 OS Version: 5.1

[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: SQL Editor -- slow key response when typing
Must add ---- selecting text with a mouse also seems visually delayed...
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

No one else has noticed this behavior? My desktop is an Intel Xeon dual CPU @ 2ghz w/ 4g of ram
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi Alex, We have not experienced what you describe, nor have we heard about this problem from someone else. Is the script you edit extremely large? Have you tested editing the same script with DbVisualizer installed on some other computer? Best Regards, Hans

Hans, When the dbVis is loaded at first, the editing is OK. As i open more tabs and as the day goes by, it becomes impossible to work... The DEL and Backspace take about 1-2 seconds to respond.. Right now I have 8 tabs open, only 3 of them have about 300 lines of code. I only experience this issue in those tabs. When i go to the tabs that have 10 lines of code, editing is OK. .... When i go back to the tab with more lines and hit a key, it shows CPU usage jump by 25%.... dbvis-multi.exe has allocated almost 700K of VM.... I am thinking of going back to the old ver.... just to compare, I copied and pasted the same code into Toad just to check. the problem was not observed. Key strokes are reacted to immediately ...

Alex, What is the memory meter in Tools->Debug Window sating when the editor is getting slow? Regards Roger

Roger, When I opened the debug window, it showed *344M* of 989M .... After I hit Del key in the editor... *7 (seven)* seconds passed before it reacted and memory jumped to *359M* / 989M

...; whats interesting... i decided to open a new instance of dbvis and load the SAME script (this one has 1157 lines).. No problems in the new instance.... i'll try to notice when it starts to choke.... but there is def something going on.....

Hi --- any updates on this post? ty

Hi Alex, Sorry but we are still unable to reproduce this problem, and no one else has reported anything similar. Were you able to nail down more precisely the situation when it starts to occur? Best Regards, Hans

That is odd that no one else is experiencing this problem.......

Hans, Can you try spanning the dbVis' sql editor across two monitors, load the sql script that is a few pages long and try scrolling up and down.. Let me know if you're seeing anything unusual... I will try to see if I can upgrade my video drivers.. May be its the video driver....

ok... really weird... so, like i said, i have the dbvis spanned across 2 screen. opened a sql , scrolling up and down is very slow, key strokes are slow... Clicked on Show/Hide Editor Controls, and clicked on 'Show as Windows'. Then slightly resized the sql window, and clicked Show as Tabs. The problem is gone....until the dbVis is restarted..... ideas???

Hi Alex, Just launched DbVisualizer and stretch it on two monitors. Load a script with 1000 rows and approx 700 chars each. Scrolling and typing is instant and works fine for me. I tested with Mac OS X on a MBP and an iMac as second monitor while I think you are using Windows XP. Not just the OS may influence the behavior in this kind of scenario, video driver is just one component among others and it is very difficult to duplicate an exact configuration. Regards Roger

Roger, Is there a way for you to try that on XP? Especially, after what I discovered and posted in my last post: +{color:#800080}Clicked on Show/Hide Editor Controls, and clicked on 'Show as Windows'.+ +Then slightly resized the sql window, and clicked Show as Tabs. The problem is gone....until the dbVis is restarted..... ideas???{color}+