Start a new topic

Problem during editing in the grid of the SQL Commander

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

It is possible to edit in the grid of the SQL Commander when only one single table is queried. I'm editing a datetime column with the following steps: - execute the SQL - column value is displayed as NULL - click the field, press CTRL+ALT+S to insert the current datetime, datetime is correctly displayed - press CTRL+S to save, column is displayed as NULL, but the correct value is saved in the database - press RELOAD and the saved value is displayed This happens only directly after the SQL is executed. When making a second change after the first, everything is displayed ok. The tooltip of the SAVE button says "Save data edit(s) and reload". It seems the reload is not done, because the values of generated database keys are not displayed, a manual reload is necessary. I also noticed that when pressing the SAVE button, the previous value (before the edit) in the edited fields is displayed for a very short time, and then the edited value is displayed. This also happens when editing in the grid of the Object View. (I don't remember this short flickering in DbVisualizer 6.0.15.) Product: DbVisualizer Personal 8.0.1 Build: #1691 (2011/06/29 19:30) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM Java Version: 1.6.0_23 Java Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc. OS Name: Windows XP OS Arch: x86 OS Version: 5.1 Regards, Andreas

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Problem during editing in the grid of the SQL Commander
Andreas, Thanks for reporting this. It will be fixed in the next maintenance release. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

There is another problem when duplicating existing rows. The value is correctly displayed, but when saving sometimes there appears an error message from the database saying "Inserting of NULL in column ... not allowed" or similar. It seems that DbVisualizer tries to insert a NULL, but the displayed value is non-NULL. It mostly happens with columns whose value is not changed from the original row. This may be related with the problem described in my first post. Regards, Andreas

Hi Andreas, Sorry for the delay. Can you please send the CREATE TABLE DDL and some INSERTS of the rows that fail when you do the update? Also a short step-by-step to reproduce would be great. We are releasing 8.0.2 later today so it would be great to verify this before pushing the release button. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Roger, steps to reproduce this: - duplicate a row - the background of all duplicated cells changes to yellow, this means the cell values are changed and should be saved - overwrite a duplicated cell with the same value (for example, double click a cell with the value "1" and type "1" in the cell) and press Tab - the background of the overwritten cell changes to white, this means the cell value is not changed and need not to be saved) - press the Save button, and the error message "ORA-01400" (inserting of NULL not allowed) appears I admit the example is a bit constructed, but it may happen if I accidentally overwrite a cell with the value already contained in it, or when pasting colums values from the clipboard. Sorry I forgot to specify the database in my original post: Oracle Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.4.0 - 64bit Production With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options Oracle JDBC driver 10.2.0.2.0 Regards, Andreas Edited by: Andreas Klaus on 05.08.2011 13:22 The error also occurs in DbVisualizer 7.1.5.

Andreas, Thanks that helped. I have looked into this and you are right that there are situations when the isEdited check is somewhat too diligent. We will fix so that for duplicated rows the edited flag is not reset when setting a value to the same value. To force a reset, an undo must be requested. Another change is that pasting single value into a cell with the same value would not set the edited flag. Pasting more than one cell into cells with the same values would however set the edited flag. This inconsistency will also be fixed. Best Regards Roger

Andreas, This is now fixed in 8.0.2 version. Regards Roger