Start a new topic

All my connections have disappeared

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hello, Yesterday I used DbVisualizer as usual, without any problem. Today I open it, and surprise!, all my connections have disappeared. The New Connection Wizard is displayed. I had about 20 connections defined... now 0. It's the first time I encounter a serious problem with DbVisualizer. Looking at .dbvis\config70\dbvis.xml, I only find the General and Drivers sections. The Databases section is empty. Idem for the dbvis.xml.bak file.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: All my connections have disappeared
Hi, Since the bak file is empty too the only recommendation I have is that you consult a system backup. There are no know issues causing the settings to get cleared other than external factors. I fully understand the frustration and hope it solves smoothly. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I've used DBVis every day for years and have seen the same thing happen probably three times now. I figured it was perhaps due to accidentally closing or killing the program just as it was editing the XML file but I can't be sure as it hasn't happened in ages. My solution after the first time was to install Tortoisegit and use that to commit a backup of my XML file (and my bookmarks, license file, etc) each time I made a major change to it. I guess you could just zip the XML file to perform the same functionality. I only used git because I wanted to have a detailed record of when and why I added new connections, bookmarks, etc.

Hi Vince, Thanks for sharing your setup. Also just to verify, are you now in the same situation as "lebate" with a broken settings file? Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I shut down dbvis 7.1.5 manually yesterday and today upon opening it again my dbvis.xml and dbvis.xml.bak files were refreshed to program default values. Timestamps on both files indicate they were both last modified when I started the program. I don't see how this can't be a program fault, but it makes no difference - the settings are lost. Time to find a new sql client. :/

Hi J, Sorry to hear that you encountered this problem. It is extremely rare, but we are aware of it happening to some users some times. Since we do not know the circumstances, it is hard to find a solution. However, when studying how the settings are saved we have found something that could potentially cause the files to be damaged occasionally. We will change how the files are saved in the next maintenance release and hope that this will resolve the issue. Best Regards, Hans

Hi, Just wanted to let you know that this is now, hopefully, fixed in the just released DbVisualizer 8.0.12. Best Regards, Hans

Unfortunately, after a few years of not running across this problem, it happened to me today using 9.0.4. And, more unfortunately, I forgot that the dbvis.xml.bak is overwritten each time you run the program. So, after two invocations, my original file containing many entries carefully built up since dbvis version 3 are now all gone. And no, I have no backup happening for this directory. My bad.

Hi Tom, Sorry to hear you lost all your connections and other settings. A regular backup of the settings directory is recommended to avoid this situation, but you're already aware of that and it doesn't help you now. We have looked at this area and cannot figure out why it can still happen. Is there any chance something other than DbVisualizer removed the file? Best Regards, Hans

Hello, i was using 21 days free license, and license expiration date was 2013-07-02. Yesterday i used db visualizer without any problems. (by the way it is 9.0.5) Today license has expired (as expected), and unfortunately all my connections disappeared. (didn't expect that to happen). and i dont have any backup. is there any file under the dbvisualizer directory, that contains my connections?

Hi, We are currently looking into this as a few other users experience the same issue. Is your home directory (typically C:\Users\) located on a local hard drive or mounted with a remote file server? Did you have more than one instances (processes) of DbVisualizer running when this occurred? Any help would be useful. The connect settings are saved in: C:\Users\\.dbvis\config70\dbvis.xml If you are lucky there is a dbvis.xml.bak in the same directory. Quit DbVisualizer (if running), copy dbvis.xml.bak to dbvis.xml and then start DbVisualizer. Regards Roger

In my case, I normally have three connections going, one on local, two on remote servers. My home directory is located on a local drive. The file system I use is jfs.

"Is your home directory (typically C:\Users\) located on a local hard drive or mounted with a remote file server?" my home directory located on a local hard drive (C:\Users\) "Did you have more than one instances (processes) of DbVisualizer running when this occurred?" not that i know of. dbvis.xml and dbvis.xml.bak files already have the same content.

Hi, We just released a BETA version of the upcoming feature version 9.1, planned for release early this fall. This beta include a few fixes for the lost connections (user settings) that has been reported lately. It would be great if you are able to verify whether the problem is solved using this beta. Unfortunately we haven't been able to reproduce the issue in our lab but by doing a few tweaks in the code we now hope the .bak file will be intact. We decided to put this fix in the ongoing BETA testing for 9.1 since this is for testing only and a good place to verify this rather critical issue. The fix will be back ported to the 9.0.x version branch once it has been successfully verified. Download the beta version here: http://www.dbvis.com/download/beta/ Best Regards Roger

hi, (not sure if you meant "update to beta then your connections might come back", but i did that, it didn't work) updated my 9.0.5 to Beta 9.1 (DbVisualizer 91.2030), my connections are still missing, new connection wizard pops up when i start dbvisualizer. dbvis.xml and dbvis.xml.bak have the same content. thanks for your help anyway