Start a new topic

Why can you only browse the default database?

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

DBVis says you can only browse the default database. Why is this? It's sort of a pain to have to create connections for each database, and the database link is kind of useless. [b]Consider:[/b] I create a db connection and specify "prod" as the database. I then connect to the database. In the tree on the left, I select my database and it expands to reveal "Databases" and "DBA Views" - both of which can be further expanded. So, I expand "databases" - but the only thing that will ever be there is "prod" as you can't browse any of the non-default databases. So, I expand "databases" and then again have to expand "prod" and then "schemas" to see anything useful. See screenshot for what I am talking about. So, my question is, given that you can't browse non-default databases anyway, when you connect to the connection you have set up, why doesn't it simply expand directly into schemas, instead of forcing you to expand three useless expanders? See second screenshot for a mockup of what seems like it would make sense for the UI to behave. I'm not a big fan of the "schemas" expander either - but since it is at the same level of DBAViews, I can see why it should be there - but the two expanders above it make no sense to me, given the constraint that a single connection can only browse one database. What am I missing here? Edited by: joe on Sep 25, 2012 10:50 PM

[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: Why can you only browse the default database?
I'm not sure what sort of database you're connecting to, but I connect to Oracle and SQL*Server databases regularly and can browse all database instances on that server that I have privileges on, not just the one specified as the default. It could be a restriction of the particular driver you're using to connect with.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

See attached message. It is clearly stating a functionality of the program. When you connect and click on "databases" - what do you see there? FWIW, I use PostgreSQL. Edited by: joe on Sep 28, 2012 8:19 AM
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Joe, PostgreSQL allows only browsing the database specified in the connection details. This is a restriction in PostgreSQL rather than DbVisualizer. However, DbVisualizer presents all databases in the objects list just to show that they exist. I agree that we should look into an alternative strategy to list non available databases than having them in the objects list. At the same time will we consider removing the unnecessary objects in the list. I will register a ticket for this. Regards Roger

Hi, Well, mystery solved (: Although this statement confuses me: "DbVisualizer presents all databases in the objects list just to show that they exist." If you look at the attached image - on the left, you can see that the databases expander in the left column ONLY lists "prod" for that connection, since that is the default database. In the right image - you can see that if I click on the "databases" expander itself, you can see a list of databases available - I just can't browse them because they are not the default db. Is this what you mean by your statement - or something else? Thanks, joe

Joe, Based on the screenshot I assume you have the "Show only default database/schema" enabled for that database connection? My previous response make more sense if it is disabled. Regards Roger

Hi Roger, No. In fact, I wasn't even aware there was such an option. I had to go looking for it. I found it under a properties tab, but it was not checked. I checked it to see what it would do, applied and connected. What that does is limit the schemas to only the default schema. With it unchecked, I see all the schemas - which is good - but I still see only the default database, as per the above screen shots.

Joe, Okay, just ignore my previous post as it is not applicable in your case. Regards Roger

Hi, Well, that's a bummer. Thanks for your response. Cheers, joe