Start a new topic

v8.0.11 Row Count feature gives N/A on big tables

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Using DBVis 8.0.11 on Win7 x64 , connecting to remote DB2 v9.7 big data warehouse. I often use the "Row Count" tab in the Object View, for its convenience. However this can return "Number of rows: N/A" if the actual count exceeds a certain number. I had a table with 10.2 billion rows and this symptom happened - does the java code use "select count()" or does it use "select count_big()" ? If it uses the former (or something equivalent to, or which maps to it) then that will cause an arithmetic overflow. Is it configurable to use the count_big() feature of DB2, or similar functions with other vendors RDBMS?

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: v8.0.11 Row Count feature gives N/A on big tables
Mike, This is now fixed in the just released 9.1.2 version. Regards Roger

Hi Mike, Thanks for confirming. I have opened a ticket for using count_big() by default instead. We just have to ensure that it is supported in all versions of the databases that we support. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thank you, that worked correctly (although I think it should be the default behaviour for DB2 on luw and z/os etc , maybe).

Hi Mike, You can change the SQL statement used for getting the number of rows. Open Tool Properties and expand the node for your database type in the Database tab. In the SQL Statements category, select the SELECT COUNT template and edit it, e.g. replace count(*) with count_big(*), and click Apply or OK. Best Regards, Hans