Start a new topic

bug in driver manager

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

hi, when installing a new dbvis version the driver finder runs even when i disabled 'run at startup'. this run replaces my driver definition with default installation drivers. And it ignores my search path settings when running the driver finder it finds not all drivers. my search path has first my own path and then dbvis install location. in my path there are 3 drivers for postgresql (9.0/9.1/9.2). driver manager found only my 9.2 and 9.1 version, but not 9.0 and install version PLEASE remove the driver finder run on version updates. it breaks my settings every time regards Thomas

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: bug in driver manager
Thomas, The Driver Search Paths are used by DbVisualizer to find jar files that match the pre-defined driver definitions in the driver manager. If there are bundled driver jar files in DbVisualizer these will replace any custom loaded jar files for these driver definitions. I assume you are using the PostgreSQL driver definition in the driver manager to load your own jar files? Based on this and since there is a bundled jar file for PostgreSQL these manually loaded jar files will be replaced when upgrading version as you've already discovered. What you should do is create your own "My PostgreSQL" driver definition in the driver manager and load your jar file with it instead. DbVisualizer will not touch these custom definitions. Also, loading multiple versions of the same driver jar files in a single driver entry is not recommended even if it works. What will happen is that DbVisualizer will pick the first jar file when it loads the driver at connect. A better setup is to create a "My PostgreSQL 9.0" entry with the 9.0 driver jar and a "My PostgreSQL 9.1" entry with the 9.1 driver jar and so on. Then you will be sure what driver version is used when connecting. I hope this helps. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

ok, i've never created my own driver definition. and changing all connections is to much btw include a recent driver for postgresql thanks Thomas
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Thomas, To ease the process of changing all drivers: 1) Create the "My PostgreSQL" (or the name you prefer) driver in the Driver Manager 2) Quit DbVisualizer 3) Open /home//.dbvis/config70/dbvis.xml in a text editor and replace all: PostgreSQL to My PostgreSQL 4) Save the file 5) Start DbVisualizer Regards Roger