Start a new topic

Dragging table into the SQL window

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Tried dragging a table (ett_RefDesk) into the SQL editor from the Connections tree, selected SELECT for 'Scripting Type'. This is what ended up in the SQL commander: SELECT regionID, deskCode, deskDescr, creDate FROM {color:#ff0000}*nullnull*{color}{color:#000000}e{color}tt_RefDesk

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Dragging table into the SQL window
Alex, Show Null As can now be set to an empty string in 9.1.3. http://www.dbvis.com/download/ Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Roger It is blank (I mentioned it in Dec 4, 2012 8:08 AM post) Thanks

Alex, Should have mentioned that the null string issue is not fixed in 9.0.3. Only the drag and drop configuration to either launch the scripting feature or insert object name and drop in editor. Regards Roger

Alex, What is your string representation for null in Tool Properties->Data Formats? Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Roger I made it a default option to drag an object name. But when I held down Ctrl key while dragging an object and selected SELECT / SELECT * the app still prepended nullnull to the object name: SELECT pxrID, px_from, px_to, status, cre_date, upd_date, cre_by, upd_by, comments FROM nullnullgtr_px_ranges; Thanks Product: DbVisualizer Pro 9.0.3 Build: #1916 (2013/01/26 17:47) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM Java Version: 1.6.0_33 Java Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc. OS Name: Windows XP OS Arch: x86 OS Version: 5.1

Hi, This is now fixed in the latest 9.0.3 version. http://www.dbvis.com/download/ Regards Roger

Illmatic, As I mentioned we will look into this: > We will most probably add a tool property in the next version which is used to control whether the scripting window will appear or not when dragging object names. Happy Holidays! Regards Roger

I can understand that different users want different output. However, can't this be set up in a Preferences or Options setting? So you set it up once, and that's it. Now, every single time I drag a table name, I get this dialog box. I can tell you that 99% of the time I am just trying to insert the table name into my SQL statement. I am willing to trade off having to do something manually 1%, for ease of use the other 99%. It's just inconsistent, and also disappointing because it worked fine in 8.0. Drag a schema name, it gets inserted at the cursor. Drag a column name, it gets inserted at the cursor. Drag a procedure name, it gets inserted. Drag a table name, nope, stop what you're doing, here's a dialog with a whole bunch of options. Thanks. Happy Holidays. Other than a few minor things like this, DBVis is a great product.

Thanks Roger. I hope you go with the idea of holding down a Shift key while dragging to display the dialog vs. the tool property.

Hi, The reason for the new scripting feature is to allow for more control of the scripted output. Offering for example qualifiers in the scripted output with the old right-click strategy, it would require doubling all the right-click menu actions. Another reason is the target destination, the old scripting feature completely replaced the content in the target editor if "Script to Editor". There was no way to control what editor to set as target or where in the editor to insert the script. The new dialog combines all settings in one display. Another improvement is that you are able to script multiple objects at once. In the old version it wasn't possible to drag more than one object at a time. There is no single route for all users. Some like it formatted some don't, some like the capability to script to clipboard while some never do it. You mention dragging for example table name to the SQL editor. I assume you know about the auto completion feature in the editor allowing to easily insert table and column names? It is in my opinion more convenient than locate and drag from the objects tree. However, we carefully monitor all feedback and do our best to satisfy as many as possible. Your feedback is really valuable and we will look into it. We will most probably add a tool property in the next version which is used to control whether the scripting window will appear or not when dragging object names. Regards Roger

I absolutely second what illmatic said. If I was to vote, i'd restore the behavior that 8# had for dragging an object; --- it simply drags an object name into the commander, and, if a user holds down a Shift or Alt key, display the new dialog.

Sorry to hijack the thread but why did you change this behavior from v8 to v9? You took 2 simple, easy abilities -- dragging a table name to use in the FROM clause, and right-clicking to SELECT in a new tab -- and created this awful new Script dialog box. It adds so many extra mouse clicks and is just plain annoying. Most of the new options you added are probably rare or unlikely. For example, how often is someone going to create an auto-script directly to a file without viewing it in the SQL Commander window first? How often will someone deliberately unselect Format SQL? Replacing the simple Script options in the right-click menu with this "Script Table" dialog, and removing the ability to drag a table name into SQL Commander, are huge steps backwards in ease-of-use.

Alex, Currently it is not possible to workaround this. We have an open ticket that it should be fixed. Regards Roger

Roger, I have no value for nulls for a few reasons. Is there a way to fix this so that dialog does not depend on the default value for nulls? Thanks...

Alex, Found the problem and that is the Null String in Tool Properties->General->Data Formats that must have a value and not an empty string. We have a general ticket to look into this. Make sure you use a non empty string such as (null) which is default. Regards Roger