Start a new topic

DB connection configuration lost between executions

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi. I'm new to dbvis, having been using sqlexplorer. Dbvis looks to be nicer to use...BUT: i can't get it to remember the drivers, connections, ... between executions of the tool. I am using the free version currently: Product: DbVisualizer Free 9.0 Build: #1900 (2012/11/29 11:43) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM Java Version: 1.6.0_35 Java Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc. OS Name: Windows 7 OS Arch: x86 OS Version: 6.1 Is this supposed to work on the free version or is this the way to force people to buy a license? Sqlexplorer remembers my settings, even in the free version.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: DB connection configuration lost between executions
Mark, When you start DbVisualizer, open Tools->Tool Properties and select the General category. In the settings pane there is a "User Preferences Directory" field. This is the directory in which DbVisualizer store all user settings. Do you have write access to it? Check by opening a Windows Explorer and create a file. Settings should of course be saved also in the Free edition... Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thanks for the reply. I went to the directory (C:\Users\\.dbvis and I am able to create a new file there. Is there something else I should check? I am on Win7 if that matters.

Mark, Is the following file available: .dbvis\config70\dbvis.xml This is the file keeping all databases and other general settings. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Yeah, I saw that file. It is not read-only, but it is empty. So... this is where my connections and other settings should be saved? I edited it and put some text in it and saved fine. I then deleted what I added. Why wouldn't this file be updated by dbvis?

Mark, Quit DbVisualizer, delete the file and then re-start. Does it then work? Regards Roger

Yay! It works now. Thanks for your help!