Start a new topic

java 7 on Mountain Lion

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi, DBVisualizer pro 9.0 it possible work with java 7 on Mountain Lion? thanks

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: java 7 on Mountain Lion
Francesco, Java 7 on OS X is currently not supported in DbVisualizer. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

What is the ETA for Java 7 support? I'd be curious to learn how you ended up in a situation where your app works on Java 7 in Windows but not on Mac.

Hi, Unfortunately it doesn't look super good. One major issue is that Retina screens doesn't look "retinish" with Java 7 as it does with Java 6. This may seem as a minor issue but if you've got used to the sharp fonts with Java 6 and Retina it is a drawback which can be hard to overcome. There are more information about this in the Apple Java mailing list: http://lists.apple.com/archives/java-dev/2012/Oct/msg00115.html Other issues are related to modal dialogs that may appear behind windows, OutOfMemory with wide columns in a grid (JTable), enabling Lion full screen support completely freeze the OS X window manager, right-click menus that doesn't respond. Some of these can be fixed with workarounds but not all. We're constantly monitoring various forums and mailing lists and especially new versions of Java 7 on Mac to verify if there are any (positive) changes. I hope this helps. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I appreciate the more in-depth explanation, thanks! All my normal tools that are written in Java (including terrible webstart stuff circa 2009) still work completely fine w/ Java 7, aside from DbVisualizer (and I haven't found a good alternative), so I'm kind of stuck and unable to update documentation now, which is what prompted my question. I've come to expect that any apps written in Java are always going to look atypical/non-native, but what I didn't expect was to have the installation blocked due to lack of Retina/full-screen support. Lots of Mac App Store apps still don't support these features, and there isn't really a Windows equivalent to full-screen, so it never occurred to me that this would be the barrier.

Hi, Even if DbVisualizer don't yet support Java 7 on Mac that shouldn't stop you from using DbVisualizer with Java 6 and still keep Java 7 with your other applications. Regards Roger

Roger, in this case: is not supported == not working? If not the same, who wants to use v7 can try and fall back to v6 if needed? regards, Ronald.

Hi Ronald, Currently it doesn't work. For Java 7 we will also need to offer Java 7 specific installers on Mac. As far as we know it is not possible to have a fallback mechanism. Regards Roger