Start a new topic

How to have simply results from Oracle after compiling in the SQL commander

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

When I try to open a file containing a SQL directive to compile a Package Body, "SQL commander" window opens with the content of the file. Then, when I "execute the complete buffer as one SQL statement", the log is always the same : 12:29:30 [CREATE - 0 row(s), 0.500 secs] Command processed. No rows were affected ... 1 statement(s) executed, 0 row(s) affected, exec/fetch time: 0.500/0.000 sec [0 successful, 1 warnings, 0 errors] However, at this point, I don't know if the compilation of the package body succeded or not. It seems that I must browse for the package body objets, and then open the package body with the "Open ion windowd" command to have the results of the compilation. Is there any other way to have the results of the compilation directly in the "sql commander " window ? Product details : Product: DbVisualizer Personal 8.0.11 Build: #1772 (2012/09/26 11:05) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM Java Version: 1.7.0_09 Java Vendor: Oracle Corporation OS Name: Windows XP OS Arch: x86 OS Version: 5.1

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: How to have simply results from Oracle after compiling in the SQL commander
Hi Peter, When working with procedures, functions, packages, etc, we recommend using the Procedure Editor. It is designed to look for and display potential compilation errors, using database-dependent tricks to get this info. The SQLCommander is intended for more generic SQL execution. Since it just sends the SQL to the database, it doesn't know whether it executes a SELECT or a CREATE PROCEDURE statement, and it also doesn't have the information it needs to go looking for potential compilation errors. Please see the Users Guide for more about the Procedure Editor: http://www.dbvis.com/doc/main/doc/ug/procEditor/procEditor.html Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Hans, Thanks a lot for your reply. I'm trying to be efficient with DBVis as I want to compile a package that is stored in a file (more precisely a .sql file under CVS). In order to compile a file containing a package body in DBVis, I need to : - open the rigth connexion in "Databases" - open the right schema - explore the list of package body - open the concerned package body - open the .sql file containing the text of the package body (it appears then in the "SQL commander" window) - copy all the text from the "SQL commander" window and paste it to the "package body editor" window - run the compile order with the "Save changes" button It seems to me that these operations are taking much more time than I supposed to. Maybe there is another way (an easier one ?) of doing this ? An direct opening of the .sql file (by double-clicking on it in the Explorer) in the "package body editor" window (as this window is currently opened in DBVis) would be more efficient. This is no critic about the tool (I find it pretty good !), just a question of efficiency... Regards, Peter
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi Peter, A couple of tips about what you can do: 1) If you frequently work with the same packages, add them to the Favorites toolbar: http://www.dbvis.com/doc/main/doc/ug/favorites/favorites.html This way you just have to double-click the favorite to connect to the database and open an Object View tab for it. 2) Use Open File in the Package Body Editor to load the file directly into the editor. I hope this helps. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thanks for your replies, Hans. Regards, Peter